Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melancholy  (Read 718 times)

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do we play DF? For Dwarven Science, of course!
    • View Profile
Melancholy
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:48:13 pm »

I know melancholy dwarves(/humans, since I'm playing a humie fort) are suicidal, but I never knew they were stupid.

I have a lovely little wrestler, who was training to be a spearman, but I think someone broke his arm in training... or he might have been the one who was hit quite hard by a foul blendec.

Anyway, he's been resting for a long while, but seemed to somehow be disturbed. I'm guessing whilst he was being fed someone stole his bed, because he was complaining of drowsiness and very-drowsiness.

This got to the stage where he went all melancholy and crawled around the fort slowly... he crawled over to a lake outside the walls, then seemed to change his mind and came back. He dragged himself up one flight of stairs and threw himself off the wall.

Unfortunately, his suicide attempt was nothing more than that, as all he got was stunned. Now he's crawling around seemingly randomly.

Are they that foolish? There are umpteen 2-4 high towers he could have jumped off, and endless lakes, moats and rivers...
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melancholy
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 12:54:34 pm »

I think they usually try to just off the closest z-level.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:24:56 pm »

Urist McEmo cancels suicide: trying for attention.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

Urist McEmo cancels suicide: trying for attention.
Do'h!

Beat me to it  :D

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 04:49:23 pm »

I recently had this melancholy dorf that tried suiciding by constantly jumping into my, at that point, empty pool. The height difference was only 1 Z-level so he couldn't really hurt himself doing that. That didn't stop him from trying though, so he always climbed back up and jumped again until he finally died of dehydration.

So yes, it would look like they can be that stupid.