Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Worst Aquifer Disasters!  (Read 3750 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Aquifer Disasters!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 10:14:30 am »

I had an aquifer a z level above me once. I created an artificial tribuary, making one big dwarf tunnel and many others branching off of it.

Hopefully, this will prove usefull in seiges, as I embarked stupidly right next to a gobbo tower o' death.

Er... can gobbos swim?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 10:17:06 am »

I had my first very minor aquifer mishap recently when building next to a lake.  My initial home stead mining of an apartment complex broke into a layer of Grey mud that promptly flooded it, fortunately everyone got out safely and only one level was effected.  I started a new apartment adjacent to it and eventually grew to fort to decent size then undertook a recovery project.  I mined out a 1x1 plug of rock and a 'slot' for it to fall into that would close the spot I broke the aquifer at, a simple manual cave in did the trick and a short manually powered screw pump stack (one of the screws was legendary btw) emptied the flooded level into the lake by a very pleasant waterfall and the reclaimed area became a large dining room and kitchen complex.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 12:19:24 pm »

I vote for this topic to be renamed to "Funniest Aquifer Disasters"

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 12:37:45 pm »

I once saw the foresight to install doors in some hallways and hatch covers on some major stairways before digging through the aquifer for a kick-ass waterfall.
Unfortunately, because of poor fore-site and items blocking doors, the flooding resulted in drowning every miner, as well as the furnaces, metal storage, and weapon stockpiles (including spare picks). Surface access was cut off from all my surviving dwarves, as well as any ability to dig. Also, dwarves could only remove hatches from above.
On the bright side, the aboveground windmills continued to power the pump system.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 01:14:13 pm »

Wet stone? Bah! stupid miners are just being lazy. Well they weren't, first time i played... first fortress lost 15th of granite
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 11:48:55 pm »

I once had an adventure with an aquifer.  I described it here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=16791.0

The short version: I thought to drain an aquifer, only later to check the wiki and find out it is infinite.  To stave off flooding I systematically carved out ALL (as in every square in the level) of level after level with water at my heels.  Finally I hit Hidden Fun Stuff and with seconds to spare, managed to seal some dwarves in with it to finish the job.  They set up a system of floodgates and grates, with levers.  They tapped into HFS, tapped into my lowest level, and sent the water rushing into the HFS.  Total casulaties: 1 donkey, having followed it's owner but being unable to swim.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 01:34:05 pm »

Aquifer disaster #1:

A botched attempt to get through an aquifer by channeling a load of magma into it... which resulted in half my fort getting flooded with magma.

Aquifer disaster #2: Not very serious, but frustrating, until it yeilded some interesting advantages:

I was trying to pump out an aquifer, and was doing okay, but two of the dwarves decided to take their babies (and some puppies) to the building site, who then got separated from their parents/owners, and suck in a couple of tiles that had most of the water pumped out of them, but were surrounded by deeper water, preventing them getting out or any rescuers getting to them.

I spent a long time trying to get them out, but was eventually distracted by more serious matters (a goblin seige).

After the goblins had attacked my fort (and slaughtered most of my best troops, who had all decided to rush to the one part of the fort that the goblins could shoot into, despite there not being any way for them to actually get in there), the goblins decided to go after the babies and puppies that were trapped in my aquifer-excavation site.

Well, they got in, brutally murdered the babies and the puppies :'(...

And then realized that they were trapped as well.

So, I opened my gates, let my dwarves out, and told them to dismantle the axel that provided power to the pumps...

Cue 9 drowned goblins  ;D

Karma is sweet :)

Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 06:35:35 pm »

A while back someone made a thread about how they managed to trap themselves under an aquiifer.  I forget how, though.

indeed.  i dug though the obsidian next to a magma pipe to get under the aquafir, and built my fort down there.  I then tried to channel magma out to make a larger obsidian plug to build a grand-entranceway with.

I was under the mistaken impression that cutting off the magma from the source would cause it to cool (it was popular misconception on the forums at the time.  i dont know how that shit gets perpetuated so far) but after i tried it i ended up with a caved in enteranceway and massive lake of magma chaneled into the middle of the aquafir that wouldnt cool.  all but a couple of my dwarfs were stuck down there with no way out.

very embarassing.
Pages: 1 [2]