Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No items challenge  (Read 1341 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
No items challenge
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:54:31 pm »

I tried to embark with nothing. I decided to not spend points for experienced dwarves not buy any items. After chosing nice place with brook, quite warm weather, brook and nice wildlife, I embarked.

My dwarves appeared on 1x1 hill of sand so I got no wagon. Also there was like 5 pages of carps on map. Luckily there was also nice fishles pond. Dwarves ate berries and drank water whole time to the autumn. Then I finally realizes that without 3 logs from wagon I cannot build trade depot so survival depended on imigrants that would came before first siege. First wave: glass maker, fisherdwarf, animal dissector and gem cutter. Second wave: carpenter, cook and brewer. And then goblin siege. Blood was everywhere.

On my second try I was luckier - wagon was there. Thanks to herbalists, fisherdwarves my dwarves weren't hungry and I managed to create some bone and shell crafts from turtles. I also prepared some food. First caravan brought some wood, meat and alcohol. Big boost of morale thanks to booze. Next caravan brought plump helmet seeds and pick! From this point it was easy to move underground.

I was worried about lack of wood but there were lots of logs brought by traders and after 4 ears came 3 woodchoppers. I have 60 dwarves, several artifacts and one noble waiting for execution because of unsatisfiable mandate. Happy times.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No items challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:20:18 pm »

Wait, what? Did you build up a stockpile of items, tear down the craftdwarf's shop, and then build a Trade Depot?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:06:13 pm »

You don't need to rely on migrants if you can get herbalist seeds, and start up food production from farms, trade what you grow and gather for building production the first year, make farm workshops, kitchens, looms, crafts workshop, and maybe a dyer in that order, and before long you will be able to survive with all the trade goods you can bring in. Prepared meals and cloth crafts can bring in a lot to help keep you going.

Technically with this product line you could start in the middle of the desert and as long as you have some water and a soil surface, you can survive until you can get picks or axes. You do however as you pointed out, need the initial wagon wood to make your trade depot.

Anyway, I seem to be in a forum typing mood tonight. Not sure if this is even the right place for this thread. but oh well.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 05:42:21 am »

@Eita: Yes - when you remove building, you get your materials back

@Haika: Exactly - herbalists can do incredible stuff. I take one everytime instead of some seeds.

And about placement od topic - I srewed it, I wanted to place this in General ... but never mind - quick fix:

---------------------------

creek ... creek ... creek

Rovod: "Oh, finally some good road. I am scared that our wagon will not hold much

longer in these swamps. Unib? How long are we traveling?"

Unib: "Three months and two day, m'am"

Rovod: "Great! It will take just two weeks to get to mountain halls! I am sure, they

will be surprised - imigrants with food, booze, tools and weapons!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

creek ... creek ... AARGHHH!

Stukos: "Alligator! It scared horse and camel! Stop wagon! All our food! Our booze!

Oh no ..."

Rovod: "Quickly, run!"

Logem: "There it is! Oh no, oh no ... all our stuff has fallen in that pond!"

Rovod: "Yeah ... thats just great. What can we do. We would not survive another two

weeks on road. Goden catch some turtles! Rest come with me, we will collect some

strawberries."

----------------------

After some months we discovered nice brook. Fresh water! We have to drink that muddy stuff no more! Moving stockpiles and farms took just a few days.
Autumn was coming so we started preparing for traders. I bet, they will like our crafts and prepared meels.

-----------------------

Traders came. We asked if we can join them and leave these swamps. Those bas*** decided to leave us here! And that axedwarf was in menacing pose and laughing! At least they were willing to sell us a pick. Sadly they had no wood. We can now build some more workshops and lots of crafts for next caravan. Hopefuly they will have axe or wood - we do not believe that the next caravan would take us from this place. Our graves will be in these muddy swamps.

-----------------------

It is late autumn now! Some imigrants came. Some peasants, glassmaker, one child, etc. No one has an axe. Even now we have only one bed. At least we can train two of them to soldiers for some defence.

-----------------------

Hm ... weather has cleared. Corridors for bedrooms are finished, we have tons of food and even some booze. We started making weapons for our growing guards. There live 60 dwarves in fort now. And another caravan is coming! Three woodcutters! Barrels, bins AND beds for everyone!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:08:08 am by DennyTom »
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...