Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Detailed statues  (Read 1383 times)

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Detailed statues
« on: August 14, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »

Could it be possible for statues to have a detailed (and random) description, like engravings and decorations do now?
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: Detailed statues
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »

Statues have the exact same problem than any other object in the game: they have no description whatsoever.

I guess this will come eventually, for all items at once.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 12:43:22 pm »

This seemed like a good place to put this: if statues and other items can be detailed to show individual dwarves, it would be nice if the value of that item (either to that dwarf or to a friend or underling of that dwarf) would be increased.  It would be great to see statues of the mayor lift the value of all the rooms in the fortress -- and suddenly plummet when a new mayor gets elected.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:50:24 pm »

This is a statue of a Dwarf. The Dwarf is traveling. This statue was made in the likeness of Kogan Bloodwall, founder of Skyscorched.

THATS how I would have it done. You just need a choice of what the statue is.

This is a statue of a Giant Cave Spider. The Giant Cave Spider is striking down a dwarf.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 01:03:54 pm »

It would also be nice it is was done like coins.  Coins currently record the engraving quality and design.  With the display all histories init option you can get some rather interesting details.  So it should actually be something like this for statues:

This is an exceptionally engraved obsidian statue of Tekkud Bomrek.  She is holding a well designed pick.  The statue depicts the founding of Rovod Kudar by Tekkud Bomrek.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Buugipopuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

I approve of this idea, especially if it means that there will be hundreds of statues of Demons after bungled adamantine excavations, as is currently the case.

It also adds potential mandates that aren't just crystal glass cabinets or whatever.  Nobles could commission statues to be made of them as a possible mandate (when selecting an image to carve, the random image generator should be very heavily weighted towards producing a mandated image if one is currently in effect).  People should also get happy thoughts from seeing well-made statues of them, and particularly self-important dorfs should get unhappy thoughts from low quality statues of them.  This could be a general thing applied to all images, actually.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 02:00:45 pm »

You could tell them to follow the mandate and they would make sure to make one that followed it. It might be of the noble being surrounded by cave spiders, but it would be of the noble.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 02:51:15 pm »

Quote from: Dev Notes
Bloat221, ART IMAGE COMPLEXITY AND IMPROVEMENT, (Future): Item improvement image complexity can be determined by craft quality, the image can generate slots for further improvements on the item to occupy, but it needs to do this in an abstract way that works for detail events as well, and also statues and figurines

Bloat224, STATUE IMPROVEMENTS, (Future): Describe statues, analagous to figurines, could have arms that can be moved and hidden levers and buttons and so on, could be linked to creature defs and be animated or come alive

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:35:54 pm »

Would be massively irritating to try to get a matching set of masterwork statues for the lobby. Bad enough with the engravings depicting dwarves embracing tentacle demons

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:55:50 pm »

"This is an exceptionally engraved obsidian statue of Cog SmokedHams.  He is running.  The statue depicts the discovery of magma at GlowingRuins in 201 by Cog SmokedHams."

Hell...  the statue is Cog SmokedHams.  He was a miner, not a runner...   ::)
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 12:08:44 am »

These ideas are cool, but the image selection system would need to be revamped, or we would end up with way, way, to many statues of cheese and moons. ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 07:41:44 am »

I'd love statues of random creatures and objects. Just a "statue" feels a little vague.

Imagine a statue of a named dragon, decorated with the dragons own bones and encusted with innumerable gems at the only entrance to your fortress. Eternal happyness for all my subjects!
Karpatius cancels Eat: thirsty.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius has died of thirst.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 09:37:29 am »

These ideas are cool, but the image selection system would need to be revamped, or we would end up with way, way, to many statues of cheese and moons. ;D

It would also need to avoid selecting too many people.  A dwarf is fine, two dwarves is probably okay, but "a dwarf and dwarves" might end up being a statue garden unto itself.