Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The End of the (Family) Line  (Read 748 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
The End of the (Family) Line
« on: November 26, 2008, 04:56:13 pm »

In my recent fortress, I had a mother and a father happily married. The Father was an elite marks dwarf, the mother a wonderful fisher dwarf. They had two children together.

So, one day, when the mother is out fishing, the elves appear. And then the Goblins appear too. A bolt strikes the mother and wounds her gravely while she drops her child (The elder child had been snatched. Whoops). The Father, being the only one of the marksdwarves not eating or drinking at the time rushes out to help his wife in combat. He strikes down many a goblin before running out of bolts and engages the goblins in mortal combat. He strikes down two goblins, mortally wounds the other, who then mortal wounds him. He died shortly afterward.

It's been about a year now. The wife just recovered from her wounds. The baby tossed himself into a pond (Surprisingly). And now, the wife is the only survivor of a happy family.

And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The End of the (Family) Line
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:26:53 pm »

It's simple (about the baby thing). If the mother can't haul the baby around, it throws itself off the either nearest or highest (not sure, probably nearest) Z level drop. If you had a dry moat, it would jump into it and climb out until it was unable to, and lie there bleeding out for a few seasons until it either died or became a child, who would then be picked up and put in bed, or if the mother healed and picked it up (not sure about that, though. Will mothers pick up injured babies?)

anyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 05:48:57 pm »

The eldest child is probably still alive at the goblin fortress.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:39:07 pm »

And if you talk to him, I'm sure he'll tell you all about his family's horrific deaths and won't care.

Leinad

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 08:41:21 pm »

(not sure about that, though. Will mothers pick up injured babies?)

Im fairly certain I've seen mothers pick up injured babies, I had a hunter with a baby once and the baby had its arm torn off by a monkey, the mother dropped it, killed the monkey and then picked it back up.