Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: the mother of all caveins  (Read 2460 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: the mother of all caveins
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 02:57:38 pm »

you coulda atleast have taken screenshots! just a little press of the ol' 'prt scr' and you have a screenshot. describing something like that doesn't do it justice. that would be like watching the lord of the rings with a blind person, and just describing all the scenes to him.
Don't give me ideas.
Urist Mctorturer...
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 03:20:39 pm »

A while ago I had used Companion to turn the entire bottom level of the map into a chasm. Then I collapsed everything into it. That was fun.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 09:57:33 pm »

Okay, I've finally figured out the physics behind what happens here...

The bottom two levels are completely dug out. Every single other level of the map just drops two z-levels and is unharmed... well the terrain is unharmed anyway. The dwarves all end up with two or three broken limbs. Some just get flat out crushed.

You know... if I hollowed out some more levels... tee hee... the surface would fall like a dozen or so z-levels. Splat!

Oh yes colonies of ants also float as well as the wagons. And yes the horses float too.

Pictures time!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 10:11:20 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 12:43:32 am »

Hmmmm. Undug tiles survive drops? I know that constructed wooden (or stone) walls didn't
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 01:00:46 pm »

Yeah, Strife, that's one way to breach an aquifer. Drop undug tiles.
shoruke - There's the Dwarf Fortress File Depot for uploading saves.
Also, replays always run at 100fps so you can just record it.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 10:07:23 pm »

Indeed. That one frame that took three minutes would seem perfectly normal. Unless you had FPS on in which case we'd a massive drop in the number.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 08:02:07 am »

What size area did you do this on? I presume a small one, but aside from the extreme tediousness of it it would awesome to see how large a map and how many levels you'd need to collapse to have your computer spend, say, an hour calculating one frame. And then film it with a webcam or something and upload it in parts to youtube.

Dwarf Fortress Epic Cavein - Part 5
Ten more minutes of invisible CPU melting action!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »

Oh ARMOK no. If you want a video of a computer melting for an hour over one frame of DF you can do it yourself.

And yes, on the embark screen the map was the smallest I could possible make it: 2x2. But if that takes 3 minutes, imagine what a say, 10x10 area would do to your processor.

Math Time!
The ratio of time (in minutes) to the number of embark tiles seems to be 3:4. Three minutes for every four tiles. So if we had a HUNDRED tiles, 3/4 of a hundred is 75. AN HOUR AND A QUARTER FOR ONE FRAME! ...not it, someone else do it. You can even use this thread if you want. Then you'll be posting like, the great-great-great grandmother of all caveins.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 03:36:32 pm »

Need to take extra picks and put those immigrants to work.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 05:15:35 pm »

Try that with an aquifer, I'm curious as to what will happen.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
Pages: 1 [2]