Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Smelting Ore question  (Read 1576 times)

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
Re: A Smelting Ore question
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 09:12:52 am »

Ugh...I used to have this problem. Then, on my current map, I am drowning in copper. I have nearly a hundred bars, hundreds of nuggets and probably 30 veins I haven't even mined out yet. Too bad it's not iron though.  :-[
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 09:20:12 am »

Is it igneous extrusive? I've had that problem. That type of rock seems to generate ore differently from the others, and makes every vein the same substance. Just be glad it's not cinnabar.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 09:29:08 am »

Eww...yeah, that would suck. Though, a bright red fortress would be kinda neat. ;)

Right now, I'm armoring my military in full copper plate and paving roads with it. The plans for my far too large above-ground castle are just a bit too ambitious for copper bar construction, despite the sheer amount I seem to have (and I've only started strip mining one z-level).

Haven't found anything else except a tiny bit of aluminum - no iron at all.

Oh, funny side note:

Q: What is the worst way to find a magma pipe?
A: From below, whilst tunneling an up/down staircase.

onehellofatable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 03:12:21 pm »

^Owch!

I laughed though
WGOIMF: Just lost 12 miners (all but 1) to cave ins within the span of an hour mining out a 20x20 pit

......Nothing could be done, it was the will of Armok!

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 03:23:57 pm »

^Owch!

I laughed though

Yep. May Lokum Koganal, Stonecrafter rest in peace. His hastily built wall stopped the flood of magma. Too bad he wasn't smart enough to build the wall from the OUTSIDE.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 03:36:32 pm »

I've also had those all Copper forts.  I'm working on making them a bit more diverse by adding some more ore types.  I've also included a Slag stone from another mod. Slag is returned from most smelting operations and two Slag can be smelted again with small chances for almost every metal to be produced ranging from 15% for copper and Iron to 1% for gold.  It averages out to half a bar per Slag and helps you get a small quantity of diverse metals to supplement but not replace trade supplies.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 08:56:03 pm »

Another way to get iron and steel is to take the various toys and instruments that Human and Dwarf caravans respectivly bring with them. If you don't mind stealing from either of those two, requesting they bring toys and instruments can be an ok source of weapon grade metal. You can also request crafts of any metal available to that civ.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Xime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 03:54:49 am »

Thanks for the advice on the toys.  Being that it was my 3rd fortress, I decided to restart in an area with granite so I could be self reliant on weapons.   My new fortress is pretty sweet though but I don't exactly have the most efficient of craftsman areas to work with, basically it's a big pile with a bunch of stuff in it and I tell the dwarves to go fetch it.  Lots of marble to toy with and iron, and bixmute (stuff that makes coke) to have a huge fuel reserve.  I used the Mayday's starter kit and didn't realize it didn't send an anvil with ya but I trade for two with the 2nd caravan so all is good.

I do however seem to have too "few" tables in the dining hall.  I have 80 tables complete with 80 chairs setup in a huge legendary hall but only 49 dwarves.  It could be that theres a bunch of rocks on some of the tables... but that still leaves a good 50 with out the rocks so I'm at a loss there. 

On a side note, I was planning on making it a huge hall with the z level above it taken out to smooth all the walls and then engrave the suckers--I'm sure it won't affect the hall below it but you know it's always cool to look at.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 05:12:45 am »

For the too few tables remark, it is most likely caused by 2 chairs touching one table regardless of the number of tables and chairs. The dwarf is annoyed to have to share a table. This

ctc
tct

can cause that despite there being enough chairs and tables because the dwarves will decide to share.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Xime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 11:37:25 am »

Thanks, stupid dwarves....
Pages: 1 [2]