Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Completely Ineffective Ranger  (Read 3250 times)

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Completely Ineffective Ranger
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 09:22:19 pm »

Then give him cuter, fuzzier animals to kill!  Like elephants.  That'll cheer him right up.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 11:30:11 am »

It's my first fortress, and everything is going fine, except for my ranger.
He started hunting immediately, and was good at it. But as time progressed he became less and less social, and now has only two friends. He stopped returning kills, no matter how I ordered him to, and he only returns to the fortress to eat and sleep. He also doesn't reload his crossbow, no matter what I tell him (and we have plenty of bolts), and uses it exclusively as a melee weapon. His personality profile read "He is starting to get used to tragedy." (Even though it is Summer of the first year.)
As time went by, he got even worse. Now he doesn't even kill his prey, he beats the tar out of them and leaves them to die slowly, covered in their own blood and vomit. His personality profile had the highest possible rating in self-consciousness, and the phrase "He is starting to get used to tragedy" has been replaced by "He doesn't care about anything anymore."

How do I remedy this situation?

As for not reloading the crossbow, I had that problem. I believe I solved it by telling him to fight unarmed, then after he had put down the crossbow, telling him to fight with a crossbow. He picked the crossbow back up and went and got ammo.

Klapaucius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 04:56:55 pm »

Then give him cuter, fuzzier animals to kill!  Like elephants.  That'll cheer him right up.

Giving him animals... how do I accomplish this?

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 06:35:52 pm »

Step 1 (Find Something That Can Kill Him Harder Than He Ever Imagined).

Step 2 (Draft Him Into The Military)

Step 3 (Station Him Next To Beastie)

Step 4 (Undraft Him If You Like).
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 07:20:26 pm »

Step 1 (Find Something That Can Kill Him Harder Than He Ever Imagined).

Step 2 (Draft Him Into The Military)

Step 3 (Station Him Next To Beastie)

Step 4 (Undraft Him If You Like).

What? this guy is the avatar of Armok, nothing can beat him.
He'll shove the beast so far up a goblins arse you'll see it through the mouth, and then beat it with his crossbow.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 10:19:54 pm »

This reminds me of a legendary marksdwarf I once had. I cross trained him to legendary hammerdwarf as well. Anyway, I knew it was about to be sieging time (savescum, I know. Really, I did worse after the savescum, but the first time a dwarven caravan's mule got clipped in the stomach with a bullet and caused the whole thing to flee. Reset and switch to beforehand, lose two dwarves instead of none, but keep the caravan). Anyway, back to the marksdwarf. He was legendary in that, using masterwork ruby encrusted steel bolts [25] and a masterwork crossbow.

He runs out into a line of about 18 goblin bow/crossbowgoblins, including a legendary local leader, along with a good deal of hammer and wrestler goblins. He got there before anybody else, thanks to his absurd agility. I write him off as a loss. Boy, was I wrong.

The guy spits out his crossbow bolts like machinegun fire, taking down twenty goblins with 25 bolts. He runs straight into a line of bolts and rushes through the other side, with NO WOUNDS. Literally 12 crossbow bolts ran straight through where he was, stopped, and dropped to the ground. He proceeds to run straight into a pack of about 20 more goblins, all melee. Once again, I write him off as a loss.

I've never seen so much blood. Jeesus christ, that guy was ecstatic for a year just on the slaughter, then suddenly dropped straight to miserable (wife and many friends died in ANOTHER siege while he was out with a sparring (with swords) injury he promptly recovered. I had reassigned him a crossbow while he was wounded (light spinal injury, such a waste of a good dwarf). He promptly tantrums and proceeds to annihilate most of my military, and a good deal of civilians before calming down.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 11:22:09 am »

Clearly Armok had a hand in that dwarf...

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 11:32:38 am »

The guy is still alive. Afterwards he lived through tons of hammerer strikes with minimal injuries (masterwork plate and no hammer for the hammerer. :D).

Armok would be damned pleased.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 05:02:39 pm »

Can we go back to the elf-bone castles and goblin skull roads? And how do I do lines of skulls? It's xmas. :D
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 07:03:15 pm »

I've had lots of problems with dwarves running out of ammo and deciding to continue meleeing large animals with their crossbows for a long time before picking up more ammo. That's if they ever pick up more ammo; meleeing elk works sometimes but not always. Meleeing polar bears and ice wolves NEVER works.

So how do you make sure they pick up more ammo?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 08:16:05 pm »

You don't. The ammo, I think, is auto forbidden because stacking is f#$%ed. They'll pick up the single bolt and that will be their stack. They won't combine, just walk around with one bolt in their hands and one in their quiver. Using bins only means they carry them back one at a time. Just go nuts on the bone ammo.
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 02:34:05 am »

Isn't this guy kind of the opposite of ineffective?

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 03:49:45 pm »

Isn't this guy kind of the opposite of ineffective?
Good point, my first thought was all the "Rangers" I got who only knew animal dissection. Bow? What's that? Ambush? Why? Herbs? Hobbits? Look man, I put sand in rats.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3]