Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp Leather? Are you kidding me?  (Read 1485 times)

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
Carp Leather? Are you kidding me?
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:05:30 am »

How is acquiring Carp Leather Possible? Just noticed that one of my rangers had a carp leather quiver. That is completely impossible. You can lose an entire fortress because of a river with some carp in it.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carp Leather? Are you kidding me?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:08:44 am »

drain a river with a large carp in it, then (hunt??) the infamous extra large fish,

only works with vermin sized carp you can actually see, rather than the normal tiny carp

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 05:59:47 pm »

see also giant cave spider silk clothes occuring very frequently despite being rare and expensive
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:04:41 pm »

Yeah, but you can never truly kill a carp fairly. I find that blocking the river and putting grates at the beginning of it helps cut down the number of dwarves killed by carp annually.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:15:55 pm »

Aren't they weak to arrows/bolts?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 06:19:47 pm »

The humans can kill carp in full rivers, but it is deep magic.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 02:23:53 am »

see also giant cave spider silk clothes occuring very frequently despite being rare and expensive

I had HEAPS of webs all over my map, wherever you were, somewhere on the screen, there would be at least one web.

Webs appeared 5x faster than I could make clothes!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 03:01:44 am »

I had HEAPS of webs all over my map, wherever you were, somewhere on the screen, there would be at least one web.

Webs appeared 5x faster than I could make clothes!

And how many dwarves died collecting the webs?...

On the subject of carp (and other murderfish, up to and including shark) leathers, the off-screen game generates leathers and other goods (bone amulets, meat etc.) from any butcherable non-vermin animal, despite the tremendous in-game difficulties of butchering said animals. This is also why unmilkable cows and camels can have their extracts purchased, as well as assorted venoms and antivenoms.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 03:59:42 pm »

So I guess the suggestion should be: Make leathers/meats/clothing/etc based more on the actual commonality of the source.

Carp/Shark/etc leather & meat should be very rare, at least until fishing boats and stuff come into use. Then it should depend technology and whatnot of the trader's civ and places they visit. Trading with a human coastal town with a large fishing industry, sure, have lots.

Bear/Tiger/etc leather & meat should also be rarer. Anything with LARGE_PREDATOR in the name should show up much less often then, say, deer or elk.

Cow/Camel/etc leather & meat should be very common. There's a reason we domesticate things.

Cave spider silk, plentiful. Giant Cave Spider silk, very, very rare.

----------------------------------

Just had a thought. With the new body materiel stuff that Toady is doing, I'd like a tag on the skin that says how good it is for making stuff out of. Maybe THICK or something. I mean, Cow leather is used all the time, as is deer, pig, and whatnot. Cat? Chicken? Groundhog? Not so much. And even if you did use, say, chicken skin to make leather, it wouldn't be as good as cow leather for most things. Maybe restricted to things like bags or crafts?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 04:10:48 pm »

well, one of the advantages is that you can make trade goods out of extracts...  Prolly don't want to lose that.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 04:58:27 am »

And how many dwarves died collecting the webs?...

None. Soapies do not count as dwarves in my book.