Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fog of war  (Read 724 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fog of war
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:20:12 pm »

I know LOS calculation sucks and it would suck even more with 200 dwarves, but what about adding to dwarf mode a simplified fog of war based solely on distance (on the grounds that even if they can't see what's going on behind a tree, they can hear it)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Fog of war
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:29:39 pm »

This seems fairly sensible, and I suppose it'd be added in whenever adventure and fortress mode are conglomerated, but I don't deny that it could add a new element to your fortresses, and might prepare us for the more sophisticated, later version.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:23:03 am »

"Fog of War" can allow for watch towers or have sentries on lookout duty.  This could also be used for invading armies, so they won't know that your entrance is closed until they actually see it themselves.  Though Toady might have to fine tune the vision system to account for varying degrees of eyesight for all creatures.  This can open the door for many many possibilities, but will be a pain to code and run in reasonable manor.
Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:07:59 am »

YES! yes yes yes yes.
I was just thinking about the same thing the other day, it would be just wonderful. Just remember to disclose animals from the view (so that the wild animals don't spot ambushers for you and the tame animals could only give you a hint by running back to the fortress and looking all disgruntled).

Also, are there plans for implementing a more prominent day/night cycle during fortress mode? If so, lighting could affect the viewing distance.

Bonus: a "golden middle" would be to only perform LOS checks in specific situations, like when there's actually an enemy within viewing distance of your dwarf.
<3

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 07:15:58 am »

Everything practically ambushes. Oh boy

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 08:30:21 am »

FoW has been suggested before, and in fact I bumped the thread a couple of days ago.  ::)
Please use the search function lads, it's really not that hard.  :)

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=4587.0

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:53:26 am »

it is when a-holes are being lazy....like me....except i decided to go through all 247 or so pages today....
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.