Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggestion: Remove engraving and move smoothing to masonary and ...  (Read 3245 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Remove engraving and move smoothing to masonary and ...
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 09:24:20 am »

Dracos may be right.... (separate job skill from material skill)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 01:22:11 pm »

There is a lot that should be rearranged to make realism in this.  Smoothing and engraving aren't the only ones that need changing.  I would put those 2 squarely in the stone carving skill.  I would also put everything currently in the mason's workshop, as should have always been in stone carving.

Then we have the same thing with carpentry and wood crafting.  Making bolts should be moved to the bowyer.

Architecture should go away; the material hauling should be done by a qualified hauler, and the design would done on every building by the dwarf building it.  The dwarf that designs it has to finish the construction and should have the appropiate labor for building with that material.

Anyway the dev notes say some stuff about moving much of the workshop and profession information into the raws for next version.  Depending on how far Toady takes that we may be able to mod some rather low level things on how dwarves get jobs done for ourselves.  I would probably make the craftsdwarf shop go away entirely.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 01:25:44 pm »

^^^ Actually he just posted in the Future of the Fortress thread that the only workshop-type stuff getting moved to the raws are the jobs for the Alchemist, Tanner, and Kitchen.

Also, I like your idea of moving crafting jobs, but where would bone/shell crafts get made?  Separate boneworking shop?

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 04:03:55 pm »

I was thinking that modifying the alchemist shop might allow pseudo-magic mixing crystals, adding enchantments to weapons, etc. Could that be done now? Add a reaction to smelt a hammer and a new type of ore or gem and get a more powerful hammer?
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 04:58:03 pm »

The only problem with Engraving is that in order to skill it up before doing your good engravings (by smoothing) you have to have massive areas to smooth, which not all forts have. On the flipside, however, you can get your graven images by way of other trades if utterly necessary.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: 1 [2]