Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Question  (Read 745 times)

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
River Question
« on: November 22, 2008, 10:49:44 am »

I used to play DF quite a lot when it was 2D, and have only recently gotten back into it now it's 3D.

Do all 3D maps have a underground river/magma?  or do you have to choose a embark map with them already listed?

I've done quite a bit of digging in a number of maps but haven't found anything.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River Question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:54:06 am »

yeah, underground rivers, chasms, HFS, and many other things are now things that are limited to certain locales and you have to purposefully search for them on the embark screen.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:06:28 am »

Only mountain tiles or volcano (^) tiles will have underground water sources and HFS metal.  I think chasms only show up in mountains as well, but I am not entirely sure.  Magma can be found on any tiles near enough to (not sure of the exact number) a volcano tile.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:52:06 pm »

Only mountain tiles or volcano (^) tiles will have underground water sources and HFS metal.  I think chasms only show up in mountains as well, but I am not entirely sure.  Magma can be found on any tiles near enough to (not sure of the exact number) a volcano tile.

I had chasms on very mild hills.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:58:27 pm »

Change options in the init file from FINDER to ALWAYS. You can now see features before you embark

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 02:11:25 pm »

Also, magma now appears in small pools or long vertical tubes instead of rivers. The tubes refill.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 02:20:55 pm »

Also, magma now appears in small pools or long vertical tubes instead of rivers. The tubes refill.
The tubes also go all the way to the bottom z-level, while the pools do not.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 04:13:48 pm »

great, thanks for all the helps.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 06:09:50 pm »

Actually magma can be found all over the place depending on volcanism values.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 07:31:18 pm »

Actually magma can be found all over the place depending on volcanism values.
There is always a volcano near world tiles that have magma, unless you mess around with world gen parameters and/or drew a map.
Just so I remember