Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Economy and the coin issue  (Read 1944 times)

Crazy_Ivan80

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Economy and the coin issue
« on: December 08, 2008, 12:04:14 pm »

From the wikie I've gleaned that there is a problem with the monetary economy: namely dwarves hauling ever sillier piles of coin around.

I've also read that apparently it can be run with a locked vault of coins, or no coins.
Those seem like good solutions, especially the vault-intermediary one. I do wonder though how the dwarves get payed then?

Or is there a simpler solution like giving every dwarf his/her own chest to put coin it?

Basically I'd like to avoid the coin-problem, without disabling the economy.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Economy and the coin issue
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 12:17:12 pm »

You do not need coins for the economy.  The economy will run quite alright on "credit".

If you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want coins, have them dumped into a vault before they get claimed.  But there's absolutely no benefit from it.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Crazy_Ivan80

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 12:19:31 pm »

ah, thanks for clearing that up for me.

:)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 02:37:49 pm »

But there's absolutely no benefit from it.

...unless you have an administrator constantly demanding coin production.

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 03:33:04 pm »

But there's absolutely no benefit from it.

...unless you have an administrator constantly demanding coin production.

As an answer:

If you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want coins, have them dumped into a nearby magma pit.

Usually you only need to mint them. That's also why magma forges are superior.
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:53:28 pm »

note that even in a locked vault they will be claimed and thus split, dwarves just won't be able to haul them (and in fact might get a sad thought from not being able to store their coins).

This is probably not a problem, but it's possible if you mint alot of coins and they all get split into piles of 1 (which will happen, eventually) the extra 100,000 things the game has to keep track of could slow it down. Best to just never make any, and ignore the noble who wants you to make coins (he won't ever assign punishments for it if you don't).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 11:20:27 am »

It seems to me that this partly stems from the same problem that happens with recovered ammo: there isn't restacking. The game doesn't combine that one steel bolt with your stack of 15 to make a single stack of 16, nor does it take those 50 single silver coins owned by Urist McDwarfette and make it a single pile of 50 coins.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:15:53 pm »

Restacking- one of the great dwarf fortress dreams.     
  Ive only found one good reason for coins:  Piles of steel coins scattered all over a fortress in the beginnings of a tantrum spiral will shorten your suffering by a fair bit.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 11:49:56 pm »

Restacking- one of the great dwarf fortress dreams.     
  Ive only found one good reason for coins:  Piles of steel coins scattered all over a fortress in the beginnings of a tantrum spiral will shorten your suffering by a fair bit.

I'm a bit of a dunce, so:

How?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 11:58:37 pm »

Coins are surprisingly lethal when thrown, and tantruming dwarves like to throw things.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 12:00:59 am »

thrown steel coins performs fairly well as projectiles, from what I've heard coins in general does  ;D too bad you can't tell your dwarves to throw 'em directly

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 12:31:06 am »

nothing like watching your Tax collector have half his head blown off with a well aimed coin thrown by an impoverished hauler.  Coins seem to have the same crazy criticals as what bolts/arrows get.  I try to leave a few stacks in trade depots on my fortresses so wandering adventurers can use them like ninjastars.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 06:38:32 am »

Coins are surprisingly lethal when thrown, and tantruming dwarves like to throw things.

I did not know that... probably because I haven't made a habit of throwing my coins in adventure mode.

If you want to satisfy your noble and avoid the vault, you can also designate the coins for melting as soon as their made. I don't believe dwarves will claim an item designated for "melt" (confirm?)
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 08:10:13 am »

I did not know that... probably because I haven't made a habit of throwing my coins in adventure mode.

Anything can be lethal in adventure mode when thrown, as it is now. Hopefully Toady will make it realistic soon enough. Combat Arc maybe?