Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I just want to know if this is getting fixed ever  (Read 712 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I just want to know if this is getting fixed ever
« on: November 21, 2008, 04:40:17 am »

I of course speak of the ridiculous value of prepared foods. i'm pretty sure that everyone agrees that its ridiculous (seeing as i've searched for similar topics, found them, read them, loved them), so yeah, i know that its been repeated to death, but it needs to be reiterated over and over until its done.

i've looked through the stuff in the development page, and i can't seem to find anything related to "incredible food value", but i may be wrong, and i just want to know if Toady plans to fix the dreaded crazy-high-value foods that render all other trade industries moot.

I absolutely love trade, and the trade industry, i love learning the item and material value charts, i love learning the little differences between metalsmithing and metalcrafting, i love creating production lines for desired trade goods, i love liaisons, and i hate to see everything outclassed by such simple commodities. If something as cool as trading is ever going to mature and get cooler than it already is, little things like this have to be smoothed out.

Before anyone says anything, I don't like modding, cause that feels to me like its just ignoring/covering up the problem. It needs to be changed in the vanilla version, period.

thats all.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:59:52 am by chaoticjosh »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just want to know if this is getting fixed ever
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 04:58:46 am »

with what looks like 1050 things being worked on, I'm sure this problem will be adressed. I totally agree by the way.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 04:59:55 am »

Basically anything in the way of "balance" like weapon strength, prices, skill gain rate, job duration, etc. will probably get tweaked at some point.  It's just relatively low priority because balancing is mostly something you do last.  Toady did recently tweak ammo prices, though, so if food prices are extremely weird rather than garden-variety weird like everything else (i.e. expensive components + high skill = ungodly expensive product), they might get special attention.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 07:08:30 am »

Current cooking system is just a placeholder

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:27:48 pm »

Dude, you think cooking gives high value goods? Maybe it's just my fortress, but even with my good cooks, I need to use pretty damn expensive goods to get things more expensive than jewel encrusted goblin spoils.

Hell, goblin narrow giant silk stuff gives you about 6k per goblin, and they are way faster than making prepared meals (and far less useful).