Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I hate you yet love you - Dwarven City States (Community)  (Read 1084 times)

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I hate you yet love you - Dwarven City States (Community)
« on: December 22, 2008, 07:07:50 pm »

Dwarves depend on eachother, it takes a real dwarf to survive on their own, surviving only on what they gather or make. A hunter can kill wild animals for food, but a butcher must turn it into food, and how does the hunter get drink without the brewer? How can he sleep without a bed? How can a carpenter make a bed without wood? Only the extremely tough and the crazy brave can survive without others.

The little outpost wagon trotted on down the river, it had the usual things for starting an outpost, food, booze, metal, stone, wood and even mining picks. A few more miles and they'd unpack and prepare to dig out their homes. Rith, an upper class metal smith, said "Okay everyone, we just have to cross this waterfall and we'll be there-"
Atis, the miner and mason interupted "Sin'e w'en were you in'eh charge?"
"I am, I'm the outpost broker-"
"I'M the outpost broker" said Zefon, the hunter
"No yeh not, yeh mudd'eh bastad" said Atis, noting Zefon's dirty appearance
"Look evereh'one" said Deduk, the fisherdwarf "Shu' up or I'll throw yeh in wih' the carp!" while pointing to the carp infested river.
"FINE!" said Rith, jumping off of the caravan.
"Wah' do yeh thin' yeh're doin'?! There areh jag'yars out there!" yelled Atis, pick in hand.
"I'm making my own damn fortress. Have fun trying to start without a metalsmith!" answered Rith, grabbing a pick, some barrels of rum and a turtle.
"An' I will too! An' I 'ope you no' how tah make walls!" said Atis, doing the same.
Zefon hopped off of the cart, holding his crossbow.
"Where do you think YOU'RE going?" said Domas, the gatherer and farmer.
"A third of our outpost just ran off, there's no way we can start now. I'm going to go hunting and try to survive while you guys.... not survive?"
And then, one by one the members of the outpost split away, each only masters of their own trade.

Every single dwarf on the cart thought "I'm Screwed."

(Pics later because imageshack is screwing up).

Basicly, this is city states, in the first few seasons they'll be working together to make doors and beds, but after that they get zoned/locked off. They'll all be eating and living how their skills dictate them, for example the hunter-trapper will be trapping things and butchering them, the fisherdwarf will fish for food and drink from the stream, the miner will mine as deep as he can, as will metalsmith for ores. The carpenter will live in a house, and the cook and farmers will gather food and eat and brew that. Obviously, I'll be suprized if half of them are still alive by the end of year two. Only the hardest and toughest will survive.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hate you yet love you - Dwarven City States (Community)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:24:59 pm »

lol this sounds great I will take the fisherdwarf I think he seems to have the highest chance of survival

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:27:24 pm »

He has the same chances as the hunter actualy, he still needs to build or dig out a house, needs to brew beer or he'll be sloooooowwwwweddd dooooowwwwwn and has a chance of being mauled by a dangerous wild animal.  ;D

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:49:37 pm »

This sounds like one heck of a time to manage. I'll be checking this regularly...

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:55:52 pm »

I'll take the cook, please. If we get to name our dwarves, call him Larkin.

I quite want to see how this turns out.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 08:39:49 pm »

I'll take the farmer/herbalist.  If there are silver barbs, he should grow as many as possible.  Name:  LegoLord, Mad Herbologist.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 08:44:01 pm »

I'll take the Miner Rith.

Name her Rena, please?

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 07:30:01 am »

Tried to get a playing session in, and found out that city states is VERY hard to do. Everyone runs in and does what one other dwarf is supposed to do, so if I need to do ANYTHING I have to turn off everyone else's labour, supsend their constructions, ect.

Thus I can truely say that I give up, it's too damn complicated. Plus a giant jaguar comming over and slaughtering everyone 5 minutes in might have something to do with it.