Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: add babysnatcher tag  (Read 903 times)

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
add babysnatcher tag
« on: December 16, 2008, 04:49:29 pm »

just a thought and maybe someone has already expiremented with this..

if you add the [BABY_SNATCHER] tag to dwarfs, will your own civ have snatched in history?  Will this result in non dwarf nobility coming to live with you?
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Re: add babysnatcher tag
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:21:11 pm »

Yes, you will have dwarves snatching babies in the history.

Getting a non-dwarf noble is a lot less unlikely and may happen...but it might not.
It can also happen if the dwarve's conquer a nation of different species during worldgen as well.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:29:53 pm »

On a tangental note, is babysnatching also part of civilization ethics? What if you give one both [BABY_SNATCHER] and (Babysnatching): Unthinkable? Do they just not babysnatch but have them available as a job, or only get angry when THEIR kids get snatched in a humorous display of hypocrisy?

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:32:09 pm »

On a tangental note, is babysnatching also part of civilization ethics? What if you give one both [BABY_SNATCHER] and (Babysnatching): Unthinkable? Do they just not babysnatch but have them available as a job, or only get angry when THEIR kids get snatched in a humorous display of hypocrisy?
I'm not sure.
I believe the goblins think that they're saving lost children when they babysnatch. So the dwarves should think the same.
Also, I'm not sure there is a babysnatching ethic. Slavery might count, but I'm not sure.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:44:55 pm »

I'm not sure.
I believe the goblins think that they're saving lost children when they babysnatch. So the dwarves should think the same.
Also, I'm not sure there is a babysnatching ethic. Slavery might count, but I'm not sure.
I'm pretty sure it's slavery.  One gobbo fort I found had a bunch of human slaves.  They were all children.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:48:39 pm »

Slavery relates to taking captives when you win.
Babysnatcher is a different matter.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:10:35 pm »

Ah, I see. Pity, it sounded like it would be amusing.

Sorry for the presumption, the idea was like third-hand after hearing that disagreements over "babysnatching" were the main source of conflicts between dwarves and goblins.