Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dealing with Defenses, and  (Read 2996 times)

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Defenses, and
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 08:03:23 pm »

Honestly, I think if gobbos simply never dug through damp or warm tiles we could solve this entire issue of "destroys the fort with flooding" versus "makes forts less invincible."

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 08:11:31 pm »

There is already a discussion similar to this in the No more invincible forts thread, about if invincible forts should be possible or not, and about how to make them harder to defend.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 08:14:28 pm »

Honestly, I think if gobbos simply never dug through damp or warm tiles we could solve this entire issue of "destroys the fort with flooding" versus "makes forts less invincible."
That doesn't solve the issue of digging into chasms and underground rivers.  Actually, maybe they should only dig one z-level below the surface.

Also, sapping wouldn't make your fort invincible if you had a magma moat as deep as the lowest z-level.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 08:20:18 pm »

That's mostly about teleportation, while this is about digging. Normally, I'd be all for consolidating the two, but honestly, that would probably lead to one discussion dying in the process.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 08:24:34 pm »

That's mostly about teleportation, while this is about digging. Normally, I'd be all for consolidating the two, but honestly, that would probably lead to one discussion dying in the process.
Teleportation?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »

Not replying to your post: I was referring to the two currently active topics about fortress defense. Confusing, I know. Shoulda quoted, I know.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 09:24:38 am »

That doesn't solve the issue of digging into chasms and underground rivers.  Actually, maybe they should only dig one z-level below the surface.

Also, sapping wouldn't make your fort invincible if you had a magma moat as deep as the lowest z-level.

Wouldn't be too horrible to write the dig pathfinding to not breach any features...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 11:03:30 am »

Wouldn't be too horrible to write the dig pathfinding to not breach any features...

What's the problem with that? What if the invaders would dig into underground rivers for example? That would be fun to watch, honestly.  ;D
..but yeah probably Toady could code the tunneler/digger AI like that, so they would never dig into chasms, lava, rivers etc.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 11:44:14 am »

What's the problem with that? What if the invaders would dig into underground rivers for example? That would be fun to watch, honestly.  ;D
..but yeah probably Toady could code the tunneler/digger AI like that, so they would never dig into chasms, lava, rivers etc.

I agree, I think it'd be silly, but the objection was that they might breach things...  I'm not a neurotic sim-fort designer.  (although a proper risk/reward structure could let even them build their forts someplace safe and not worry too much about it)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 06:40:06 pm »

Now I'm thinking they should tunnel one z-level under the surface, and collapse the tunnel behind them (essentially restoring it to its previous state).
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 [2]