Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make exclusive stockpiles  (Read 1105 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make exclusive stockpiles
« on: November 18, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »

Early in the development of a fortress, you use just one stockpile for eg. food. Later on, you'll most likely want to split it up. With the first few, that's ok, but as soon as you have a dozen you need to revisit every other stockpile you already made of that type to make a new exclusive one. So I suggest to add the option to make a stockpile exclusive for a good or category; this would override all settings of past and future stockpiles (i.e. it's also turned off in new stockpiles), until it is turned off.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make exclusive stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:47:55 pm »

I don't get it?

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 02:21:19 pm »

Sounds like a button in the stockpile assignment screen that says "enable this category for this stockpile and only this stockpile".  Not sure why you'd want that, but to each his own.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:23:43 pm »

As an alternative to checking every stockpile and turning off the category or item you only want in that stockpile. Useful for mature fortresses with dozens of stockpiles.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 04:25:38 pm »

Sure, but I don't see where I would ever find that useful.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 04:30:57 pm »

Making a stockpile exclusive (for 2 items, 30 stockpiles of that type present): 7 keypresses.
Making all other stockpiles not accept those: 210 keypresses in addition to finding and selecting them.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 04:44:46 pm »

Oh, I absolutely agree that this makes it easier to make a stockpile for Category X and remove X from all other stockpiles, given that you already have X strewn among many stockpiles. 

I just don't see why it would be desirable to do that.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 04:45:56 pm »

So you want to be able to set a stockpile to accept something, and simultaniously turn it off for all other stockpiles?

Like This is my new plump helmets stockpile, all plump helmets should go here and nowhere else ? ... I can't say I get it, but to each his own

Although I'd like to resuggest my stockpile priorities (Low, Med, High) as a solution.  Setting a Med priority food storage stockpile and later defining a high priority plump helmet stockpile would do what you're looking for, with the added benefit of going back into the general pool when the high priority (specific) fills up.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 06:34:51 pm »

Alternatively have some global stockpile search function, on top you have the traditional stockpile selector lists and below you see 3 corresponding lists of stockpiles that match the desired selection criteria.  You can then select the individual stockpiles are toggle on or off their settings.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download