Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vermin trappin!  (Read 2382 times)

alkar

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarrr!
    • View Profile
Vermin trappin!
« on: November 24, 2008, 11:25:47 pm »

So I was wondering if there is a tactic to direct an animal trapper to hunt around a certain location (I want those fire snakes dammit!). He just seems to patrol around the food stockpiles tho.

Does anyone know / can devise a strategy to make the trapper lure around the magma pipe?

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin trappin!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:25:23 am »

You can build animal traps around the magma pipe and bait them with meat.   Just make sure to do so in an area where miasma won't spread to the rest of your dwarves.

You could also just have a lot more trappers (meaning less vermin options to catch, meaning the increased likelihood of getting a firesnake.

Or you could lock him into the area with the magma pipe, some animal traps, and a kennel.   Forbidden doors = miricle worker.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:08:38 am »

Make your trapper team a multi z level catching area with food and drink. Well, you can probably skip the food considering how eager dwarves are for exotic treats

alkar

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarrr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 04:06:12 am »

You can build animal traps ...

Well well... look what I never realized >.<

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 05:12:55 am »

You could designate a food stockpile near the fire snakes but set it so they don't actually put anything in it. If there are vermin near there your trappers will hunt around there.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:42:56 pm »

Did anyone try to only survive on animal (vermin) trapping for food and trading goods? Kinda hard though if you need to bait animal traps with fish or meat, but doable i think.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 03:44:52 pm »

Did anyone try to only survive on animal (vermin) trapping for food and trading goods? Kinda hard though if you need to bait animal traps with fish or meat, but doable i think.

It's rather doable actually.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 06:11:13 pm »

This seems impossible to me.  One STACK of meat catches one vermin which feeds one dwarf.  It's usually a net loss of food unless the stack is 1 large, in which case you break even.  The only other thing I can think of is that purring maggots can be milked for more food.  But, each purring maggot can only be milked once per season, so it's not likely to help.

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 07:05:58 pm »

This seems impossible to me.  One STACK of meat catches one vermin which feeds one dwarf.  It's usually a net loss of food unless the stack is 1 large, in which case you break even.  The only other thing I can think of is that purring maggots can be milked for more food.  But, each purring maggot can only be milked once per season, so it's not likely to help.
You aren't just baiting traps, you also have peasants and trappers and whatnot wandering around actively searching for the little critters.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.