Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Kinds of demons  (Read 3109 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Kinds of demons
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 05:24:04 pm »

"El Pollo Loco" is "The Crazy Chicken" (it's a restaurant in California, if you care)

I saw that restaurant when my family drove halfway across the country to visit my uncle last summer. =D
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 06:14:45 pm »

"Immune to weapon damage" (yet vulnerable to magma for some reason) irks me for the same reason AD&D 2e's "immune to non-magical and/or +X weapons" system did.  In 2e, you could nail something with a cruise missile (in theory, anyway) and not even scratch it, but a +1 toe-nail clipper could kill it.

My group has come to the conclusion that DR/magic is pointless as anyone fighting it is GOING to have magic weapons (if not multi-magical) and anyone who can't afford said weapon would get turned into paste by it ANYWAY (weapon or not).

The other thing that always bugged me is that celestials have DR/evil (demons/devils have DR/good) yet what are they fighting all the time?  EACH OTHER, bypassing each other's DR completely.  Rationalization: so that their natural weapons are "good aligned" or "evil aligned" for purposes of damage reduction (I mean, really, couldn't we just put a different tag on them instead?).

"El Pollo Loco" is "The Crazy Chicken" (it's a restaurant in California, if you care)

I saw that restaurant when my family drove halfway across the country to visit my uncle last summer. =D

Neat.  And I've never eaten there either.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 08:03:41 am »

Try dropping down the demon talk and specifics...

Tag that creates miasma around the creature
Tag that increases power of creature based on carnivorous activity.

This man knows his DF design ways.
Always remember not to ask for something than can be modded in. And if it can't be modded in, don't ask for IT, ask for ways of modding it in.

Would this be a mod? I assumed that mods only could play with existing tags, not create new ones.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 03:05:23 pm »

Try dropping down the demon talk and specifics...

Tag that creates miasma around the creature
Tag that increases power of creature based on carnivorous activity.

This man knows his DF design ways.
Always remember not to ask for something than can be modded in. And if it can't be modded in, don't ask for IT, ask for ways of modding it in.

Would this be a mod? I assumed that mods only could play with existing tags, not create new ones.

True... My point was, don't ask for specifics, ask for the tags that will make the specifics possible.  In this case, add a tag that surrounds a creature with miasma.  Sure, a demon could be made with that tag, but so could a ghast, or a garbage elemental, or a plague fly.

It also does an end run around the 'Not in My Dwarf Fortress' crowd...  Personally I feel that we should have more tags available than are used in vanilla DF...

"Immune to weapon damage" (yet vulnerable to magma for some reason) irks me for the same reason AD&D 2e's "immune to non-magical and/or +X weapons" system did.  In 2e, you could nail something with a cruise missile (in theory, anyway) and not even scratch it, but a +1 toe-nail clipper could kill it.

My group has come to the conclusion that DR/magic is pointless as anyone fighting it is GOING to have magic weapons (if not multi-magical) and anyone who can't afford said weapon would get turned into paste by it ANYWAY (weapon or not).

The other thing that always bugged me is that celestials have DR/evil (demons/devils have DR/good) yet what are they fighting all the time?  EACH OTHER, bypassing each other's DR completely.  Rationalization: so that their natural weapons are "good aligned" or "evil aligned" for purposes of damage reduction (I mean, really, couldn't we just put a different tag on them instead?).

Nailed it on the head here.  I think 3.5 took a step back and said even normal magic couldn't overcome silver or Mythril DR???

At the core of it, though, is the fact that fantasy is rife with quests for the one thing that can destroy the monster (including most alien invasion movies)  This is a good thing if you are running an epic, story based campaign, (where you go into the dungeon looking for the silver sword to kill the werewolf, or whatever), but assinine if you run across DR in your normal critters in the dungeon.

I suppose the D&D world has room for battlefield issues too, though, which kind of applies here.  It would be pretty awesome to encourage your dwarves to use special weapons against certain foes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 03:29:05 pm »

Damage Reduction (Magic) is not pointless it just represents a creature who has grown to the point where objects of a mundane nature hardly matters to them (As well as many other explanations)

It as a whole is a story effect rather then a useful one (though mind you if they ever fought against armies it would be vastly useful as well as any PC with Leadership, Summons, and Non-magical Abilities)

Yes Demons unless they were dealing with people they could care less about would never get to use their Damage reduction (Magic)... However they didn't train until they got Damage Reduction (Magic) they just have it as an innate ability.

As for dwarf Fortress

I really wonder and hope that there are "Unbeatable" enemies at one point. Don't get me wrong I don't mean "You will lose" I am referring to "You cannot win" so Demons who will always come to life a day after you kill them. Thus you have to seal them away forever! Or enemies that can regenerate as long as any piece of them exists (and you don't got magma around).

Demons are interesting and unfortunately as a whole they don't do ENOUGH or play a big enough roll in the game at any point... So I am kinda finding it hard to find this whole suggestion interesting if I will never actually see the demons except under controlled circumstances or the few Greater demons.

I guess what I am saying is...

I want demons that will build armies, corrupt world leaders and set them against their enemies, breed legions of demons, create spires that will blot out the sun, poison the rivers in which you drink, seep their evil into the ground to turn the trees themselves into horrible monsters, inflict horrible curses upon the innocent, exchange gifts in turn for favours or loyalty, Do rituals to summon greater demons, rend the flesh of the living to create abominations, Ask for offerings of human flesh, Deface engravings, rewrite historical document to make themselves seem better, claim to be the gods of their legends, Have a turn around and become benevolent, transform people into mysterious slaves, open doors to the underworld, CRAFT ARTIFACTS, Ascend to new levels of power (a lesser becoming a greater), Have their Spheres affect their personality and body, Change spheres, Have changes in personality affect their body, Have diseases that cause people to die and come back as the undead...

Alright... rant (and wall of relevant text) over...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:39:38 pm by Neonivek »

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 03:40:07 pm »

Has anyone seen Poultrygeist?
Pages: 1 2 [3]