Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unicorns and Elephants - What Could Go Wrong?  (Read 853 times)

Tanase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unicorns and Elephants - What Could Go Wrong?
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:23:08 pm »

I love Dwarf Fortress even though I know I'm not very good at it. I've played it off and on for months and still have never had a truly successful fortress. Still, I enjoy the game and all of its wonders. The sandbox feeling that the 3d version offers is simply wonderful, and allows for near limitless possibilities.

I'll be honest and admit I never played the 2d version, though I've read through the trials and tribulations of those that have. Feeling like trying something different, I downloaded it and will give it a try. With the controls being completely different as well as fluid dynamics, I felt it would be a good challenge and probably a lot of fun. What I didn't plan on was...

UNICORNS AND ELEPHANTS

I'm only a short while into the spring season when I decide to check my unit list to see if there is anything worth hunting. I got far more than I wanted: 10 unicorns and 10 elephants. Sure, they weren't right on top of me, but just seeing the names of those... those MURDEROUS beasts in my units list chill me to the bone.

Will my first steps into 2d be fruitful? Or will it follow in the footsteps of legends such as Boatmurdered?

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorns and Elephants - What Could Go Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:38:31 pm »

Well, I can understand the fascination with the 2d version. I have a game I play on the side. 'Just for fun'. And to remind myself how nice and glitch free the 3d version is. I am enjoying it immensely.

In regards to Boatmurdered... I'm not so much sure there's a lot of footsteps to follow. The footsteps rapidly degenerated into scuffmarks, with occasional bloodspatters, to signs of combat, bloodstains, pools of vomit, ash and dead insects in door mechanisms.

Sure there might have been footsteps at first, but if you don't look up from the footsteps you'll come to a dead-end. Looking up you'll realize the lush jungle is gone. There is a magma-scarred wasteland covered in the ossified remains of goblinkind, dwarfkind and elephantkind. Amid the piles of rust, decay, filth and remains of all it's kith and kin sits one small child.

Utterly happy and content.

I'd pay attention to the fact that there is only one pair of footsteps, and they're leading away from Boatmurdered. Prudence may dictate you retrace those footsteps and try a slightly different path.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:46:06 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:06:36 pm »

One tip about hunting:

Don't.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:18:48 am »

One tip about not hunting:

Do it well.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!