Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternate Views  (Read 883 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alternate Views
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:40:22 pm »

Time to put that 160x128 grid to good use - why are we limited to only one "window" on the world - if we could split it and have separate views, we could move around on one (say, doing normal fort business) while the other is keeping an eye on something else (seeing if the siegers do anything), or you could watch something (your multilevel magma or water system filling up) happen on multiple Z levels.

Front and side views would also be nice.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Views
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 12:49:39 pm »

I like the alternate views;  I'm not so sure the front/side views would work out very well.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 02:01:57 pm »

Wet dream multithreading (or simply taking advantage of what's already in Windows) allows tagging any critter, object or point and openning a small window to watch it...

Anyway, putting a window in the corner of the normal screen would be nice too.

There's mention of critter following code for the view, so this may happen...

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 02:25:41 pm »

Wet dream multithreading (or simply taking advantage of what's already in Windows) allows tagging any critter, object or point and openning a small window to watch it...

I really don't think multithreading would be necessary - adventure mode already has its Z-views; this is just the same thing except you can create an arbitrary number of them, make them arbitrary size, and they don't move unless you want them to.

Following creatures would be nice - you could have "a day in the life of Urist" in a corner while you keep doing other management stuff in another larger screen.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 03:01:25 pm »

Reading Comprehension 101:  I'm talking about a separate window in Windows, which would require multithreading.  Leveraging the existing adventure code could easily happen...

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 03:03:40 pm »

Reading Comprehension 101:  I'm talking about a separate window in Windows, which would require multithreading.  Leveraging the existing adventure code could easily happen...

I didn't realize that, but even so (and ignoring the fact that the graphics are rendered in a separate GL thread), single-threaded multi-window applications exist - there's this thing called an event loop.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 03:09:37 pm »

could be...

That seems like a nightmare though.  (All of which is behind your excellent primary suggestion of leveraging the adventure code.)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 01:09:32 pm »

I'm very unfond of games that use multiple windows through the Microsoft Windows interface (or whatever other OS).  I like playing in fullscreen, and 'multiple windows' trashes that idea.  Instead, follow the example of SimCity-type games.  You may have multiple windows, they may be draggable, but they all stay inside the SimCity window and are just part of that app.  So yeah, no difference from Adventurer mode.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!