Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pieces and bits of history  (Read 1605 times)

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
Pieces and bits of history
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:31:50 am »

Was playing around with Legends and came around this idea. If we have this cave with a history of several dwarves dying in it and killed by a couguar it would be very nice to see some remains of them. So if this dwarven knight was killed by some resident of the cave what happened to his equipment if nobody came into the cave since that? This is only one example but don't you think that history should leave at least some physical evidence of it's existence? Even if somebody stole that evidence it might be nice if we would be able to see (or discover in Adventure mode) that in Legends?

The pros of this is that people might find random items on historical places that might have some higher value since they are old and special in a way? Maybe even finding a piece of his own journal if the event occurred in recent history? They're piece of history! The only con of this might be some more requirements in world generation but for me personally it's not a problem - world generation is still happening in less than a reasonable time! And a switch in the configuration for this might be useful for those who hate the feature.
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pieces and bits of history
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 05:08:11 pm »

There's a lot too this.

Maybe leverage the site-trashing code?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:19:56 pm »

Corpses, at some point in the future, need to become containers, so that their armor stays on them and the whole thing can be hauled somewhere before being stripped down.

Apply this code to have the corpses of champions/fallen warriors in caves or somesuch, bones sitting in armor. Likewise, a dragon with a sword through its skull or something.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 05:50:31 pm »

it'd still have to put the corpses there, though...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:13:32 pm »

it'd still have to put the corpses there, though...

Well, yes, but by having the corpse-container framework, you could prevent the items from being scattered in worldgen.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 03:03:28 am »

I thought I remembered something aout this in the dev notes, tho not specifically the corpse-container idea, which is really clever.  For my part, I'd love to see the same thing, but pushed even furthure, with scat piles in out-of-the-way chambers, prey parts and miasma clouds all over the place, and chambers inaccesable without mining.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 02:02:47 am »

Corpses, at some point in the future, need to become containers

Future bug report:
So...wait...I have to OPEN the corpse to take the armor?  How come all of it's stuff is on the inside?

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 05:34:55 am »

=->  Yeah, that's probably more accurate than any other prediction I've ever read.  Maybe they could be set up as inverted containers, or have some kind of attractive quality with regaurds to the things once in their possession so that they don't travel too far from their home corpse.  This could then be compared to the value of the item in question and the intelligence of the creature in the cave to determine if the item ends up as refuse scattering the floor or someting the creature shoves in some sort of horde, with some kind of breach point to avoid a trail of ever increasing valued items leading to the horde.  ie. If the value of something outweighs the "ownership" of teh corpse by 300 (just some random number) and the creature has some intelligence tags associated with it, then that items gets drop in the horde room.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 05:40:09 am »

Future bug report:
So...wait...I have to OPEN the corpse to take the armor?  How come all of it's stuff is on the inside?

Maybe some subtle hints like "Osbu Ngoxostrung's armored/clothed corpse" vs. "Osbu Ngoxostrung's naked corpse" could help with that.  I don't know, I think it's kind of consistent with the idea that you have to look "inside" a living creature to view their inventory.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 09:03:42 am »

Nah, this is DF guys, home of the context sensitivity.  Change the verbage from open to strip or loot for corpses.

Or, yah know, leverage the fact that you don't ever have closed containers, so standing on top of one and selecting pickup will work...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 09:27:04 am »

Or, yah know, leverage the fact that you don't ever have closed containers, so standing on top of one and selecting pickup will work...

Yeah, this too.  I'm assuming people are talking about adventure mode here, in which the contents of containers are displayed automatically in the 'g'rab interface and it would be totally obvious.