Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This looks like a nice place to embar--AUGH! THE BURNING!  (Read 2321 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This looks like a nice place to embar--AUGH! THE BURNING!
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »

Well, of course you can find sedimentary rock and magma in the same REGION, just not in the same biome. Putting the magma in a corner generally gives you the best chance.

Fire Imps are generally pretty passive until something gets near them, then they start looking for trouble. One of the fun aspects for my haunted tundra game was watching the Skelks and the Fimps square off. I generally either have a major battle against local Fimps in the first year or else they stay down deep and never cause trouble. Once you've got the magma tapped there's usually no reason to bother them. Fimps are pretty easy to beat up, although the fireblast attack can be nasty. Always try to draw fimps away from the pipe if you're going to fight them, they can pull people into the magma.

Note that if you get a region with steelmaker's dream region (flux, iron, coal, magma) then your fortress wealth will increase very quickly because steel has such a high value. This can lead to getting nobles and things earlier than expected, and also a LOT of goblin activity. I have such a fort, Basicswords. It's had 124 Goblins die assaulting it in the last year or so, the Dwarf pop is 118.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 01:31:03 pm »

I swear, the only times I've managed to either hit bauxite myself, or trade for it/bring it on embark, have been on maps with no magma.

On the bright side, practically as soon as I started mining bauxite on my current fortress I hit rubies and sapphires. :D
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 03:26:56 pm »

I'm with cbfog; magma is something to steer clear of until you have got very, very good at providing your dwarves with indoor plumbing that doesn't flood the fortress.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 02:26:35 am »

You can get magma and flux right next to each other, it just takes a lot of fussing about to find the right site.

On my current map there is so much chalk immediately next to the pipe that I built much of the aboveground castle out of the stuff after digging out living quarters and such from it. I even got luckier yet and found a big lignite vein in the process as well.

Unfortunately I did have to make a rather inefficient and convoluted pathway down through a thick aquifer to get to it, but well worthwhile!

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 04:04:33 am »

(How you know there is Bauxit on embark anyway ?).
I guess I wanted to make my first attempts as easy as possible. I was under the impression that not having magma made the game appreciably more difficult, but perhaps not. This is always the trap I fall into with this type of game. There's too much of the min/maxer in me, I guess.

Without magma, you chop down a lot of trees. A hunter/woodcutter with an axe is a pretty good thing to do, because he'll doubletrain axing things. So if he finds a fire imp, draft him(or not, he might kill it anyway). If he's set to hold the same things he holds for hunting, he'll be able to kill it right away.

I usually do this. When I get useless immigrants, I turn off wood hauling on my axer. The useless immigrants clean up after the dwarf buzzsaw.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 04:43:27 am »

Miners fight better than woodcutters. They pick up toughness faster and use their mining skill as weapon skill with pick.

Woodcutters tend to be glass cannons.

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 07:12:11 am »

Miners are better to train up feature recruits (Dig+Pump Training program for future Champions ;)).

They aren't better as early emergency responders tho. I.E. early on - no one had the time to pick up any toughness yet, nor skill.
Also you will usually embark with Copper Picks but the Axe is allways Steel.
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 09:54:13 am »

you can change that though.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 [2]