Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Player Questions  (Read 1228 times)

Cross777

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New Player Questions
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:37:12 am »

I've read a lot of the Wiki, and the posts here (although you guys are way ahead of me in fortress building!) - I use the MayGreen tileset.

I started out selling my anvil, and buying lots of food.  I'm a couple of game years in, and have some questions. I have yet to have a fortress get attacked, because my idiot dwarves keep dying.  I have a good fort going now though..

1> I've channeled out a couple of small (3x3) farm plots for outside plants.  Will attackers jump down the channel to get in to my fort? If so I have a problem since it is just one wooden door to my farms and food stocks.

2>After much trial and error I've finally got a working well. Yea!  This has led me to trying out the Zones command, and I don't get it.  If I try to zone the well, it doesn't allow me to choose it a water source, it comes up pit/pond.  If I try to change that it chooses all of the zones.

3> I built a diningroom and the dwarves have turned it into a continual party.  One party ends and someone else starts one.  I have 39 dwarves (well 38 I have a strange moody dwarf who just wonders the hallways) and the parties have gotten so bad that I have food rotting in my farms.  (I have two 3x3 and two 4x4 plots, and one plot is fallow each season) 

Is there a command which shows the general attitude/happiness of the fort?  I know I can look at each dwarfs profile.  Are my dwarf sad, and need to party all the time?  Or happy?

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: New Player Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:52:44 am »

The farms you don't need to worry about. At the moment, NPCs are scared of jumping more than a few feet, precluding any sort of jumping. Also, a wooden door is as good as a stone one. Speaking of which, why don't you have a stone one?

I don't think you have to zone the well, but I'm not entirely sure. Dwarves do drink brew above all, remember...

The parties are a real pain... I would undesignate the dining room and just make somewhere a gathering place Zone. May take a hit to happiness, but you can offset it by sprucing up their rooms...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:12:32 am »

The farms you don't need to worry about. At the moment, NPCs are scared of jumping more than a few feet, precluding any sort of jumping. Also, a wooden door is as good as a stone one. Speaking of which, why don't you have a stone one?

I don't think you have to zone the well, but I'm not entirely sure. Dwarves do drink brew above all, remember...

The parties are a real pain... I would undesignate the dining room and just make somewhere a gathering place Zone. May take a hit to happiness, but you can offset it by sprucing up their rooms...

Urist McUnstable has canceled sanity: Interrupted by lack of legendary dining room.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:24:06 am »

Don't make meeting zones.
And check if your dining hall is "Meeting hall (Y)" if so turn it off.

Having no partys and no place where they gather prevents them from making as many friends and thus if the "fun" starts there wont be a tantrum spiral.

The strange mood dwarf has probably gone mad and will soon die.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:38:58 am »

Ya know, I don't remember if you can designate a well as a water source or not.

I know you can if the water is directly beneath the well, but that's designating the water underneath, and not the well itself.   this warrants investigation, but so long as you can 'q' select your well, and see it say "active"  you're good.

A note, Imigration waves kind of need somewhere to meet, otherwise it will take FOREVER for all the new dwarves to get anywhere (Because they'll sit at the edge of the map, blocking the other immigrants from spawning, till their immigrant status wears off and they get to work)   The best solution to this is to just designate a meeting area zone.   Do not create a meeting hall from any building (well, statue, dining room, etc.) or else the parties will start.

AND NEVER END!!!!

Cross777

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 07:44:14 pm »

The strange mood dwarf did in fact die, and then a short time later his wife gave birth to a son!!!  Oh well.  (another wave of immigrants and I now have 59 dwarves..the most I've ever had.)

I canceled the zone over the well and the dwarven hunters began using it for their waterskins.

I now have children throwing parties!  I'll have to un-meeting room the dining room.  So where should I put a meeting room? Somewhere near the entrance?

Thanks!

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 08:54:41 pm »

The farms you don't need to worry about. At the moment, NPCs are scared of jumping more than a few feet, precluding any sort of jumping.
With the exclusion of dodging in combat. If a gobbo is standing above your farm and dodges, it may just end up in your farm. The risk is admittedly low, and it is something a wall around the pit would prevent easily.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:48:23 am »

With regards to the farm, there's the "dodging" issue that Skanky already mentioned, and it's conceivable but terribly unlikely that a flying creature could get in.  Also, unless you ring the holes to the surface with walls, goblin crossbowmen WILL fill your farmers with bolts.

As far as the parties go, it's not that your dwarves are sad, they just like to party.  If excessive partying is causing work to not get done, you can just de-designate the dining room to stop parties.

They're only sad if you see a flashing red arrow on them.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 05:49:38 pm »

about the outdoor farm, building a roof over it should won't make it underground if I recall. And you'll still be able to plant your above-ground crops. I might be wrong since I haven't actually tried it in any newer versions though.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 06:07:35 pm »

about the outdoor farm, building a roof over it should won't make it underground if I recall. And you'll still be able to plant your above-ground crops. I might be wrong since I haven't actually tried it in any newer versions though.

Yeah, this is still the case.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.