Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: EuReThRa I have found it! FiSh FaRmIn, WaR cArP!!! tAm  (Read 9268 times)

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
Re: EuReThRa I have found it! FiSh FaRmIn, WaR cArP!!! tAm
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

Sir, you are a credit to Dorfs everywhere. I eagerly await further news of your carp-related escapades.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

Is it possible to train zombie and skeletal carps, ive found an area with pages of that stuff (terrifying main river, *shivers*). Also, are they to be feared?

Edit: Holy mother of god, they can RUN ON LAND!!! Fortress wipeout in 5 seconds.

[ May 31, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]

Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Doppel:
<STRONG>Is it possible to train zombie and skeletal carps, ive found an area with pages of that stuff (terrifying main river, *shivers*). Also, are they to be feared?

Edit: Holy mother of god, they can RUN ON LAND!!! Fortress wipeout in 5 seconds.

[ May 31, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]</STRONG>

Not trainable, nor tamable, at least without modding.

If it is possible to tame them, then they can easily rule the world.

An alternative is to place cage traps around their ponds, then place the cages into a watery ( or dry if you prefer, but watery is better) death trap which makes them kill invading goblins.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2008, 05:05:00 am »

You can cage undead carp.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>domestic carp...</STRONG>

Actually, my father told me about Christmas in his childhood (Austria, born 1927) ... they'd regularly have Carp for Christmas. Buy it alive, keep it in the bathtub for a day or two, and slaughter it there on Dec24. Since I've started DF I'm starting to see granny in a slightly different light ... but I think this is going off-topic.  :)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2008, 11:42:07 pm »

My 1000 warcarp water tower of death nears its completion......
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2008, 12:06:17 am »

My 1000 warcarp water tower of death nears its completion......
Sweet

How does it work?
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2008, 12:06:48 am »

upload save when done?
The great game of Warlocks!

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2008, 07:03:36 am »

upload save when done?

Seconded. I want to play World of Warcarp!

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:09 am »

Now all Dwarf Fortress needs is a way to mutate carp and give them lasers on their heads.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2008, 02:02:25 pm »

"All's I want are carp with a freaking lasers on their heads."-Dr. Urist Evil

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2008, 03:20:38 pm »

Inspired by this thread, I've been harvesting large fish.  I have no carp, but I have sturgeon, pike, and longnose gar.  And, I have no immigrants, which makes failures very costly.  Unlike I3erent, my goal is food production: I also have no trade, which means all I can herd are cats and dogs.

My experiences indicate the following:
  • Put the cages in 7/7 water.  Any less than 4/7 water and the fish will instantly drown when they hit the cage trap, leaving you with caged fish corpses.  Which don't seem to rot (or if they do, they rot very slowly), so that's actually a pretty cool thing to have around.  I have a complicated setup with a retracting bridge that dumps the fish, water and all, into a room twice the size, with a set of cages, and a drain out of this room to the aquifer.  This is a dumb setup; just build a bunch of cage traps in a room near a bend in the river, then open a floodgate to coax the fish into the room.  Then, when you've caught enough, close the floodgates, and drain the room somehow.  Make sure to put a floor grate over the drain if it's going down, so the cages don't get swept down.
  • Cages hold water, so you can safely fully drain the room and build the cage in your dining room, like you'd build any kind of cage.
  • You can tame the fish like any kind of large animal, after messing with the raws (add the [PET] tag).  But I'm not sure that's useful.
  • Fish can be let out into 4/7 or deeper water.  Any shallower and they drown.  Note that your dwarves will cancel jobs in any deeper than 3/7 water, and won't path through worse than 2/7.  If there's a flow, so that you get a coexistance of 4/7 and 2/7, dwarves will lose their grip on their babies.  I tried to tie my fish to ropes, but my dwarves would cancel their "chain large animal" job due to the flow or to losing their baby, the fish would get swept over the outflow, and drown, every time.
  • My dwarves seem to think that putting a tame pet into a pit is two jobs: first, release from the cage.  Second, pit the pet.  This isn't so great because they'll dump the carp on the floor, then walk away, and then decide maybe they should put the carp in the pit, by which time the carp dies.  My survival rate with fish in cages built right next to the pit is below 50%.
  • You can't butcher a dead tame carp, so that carp that just died because your dwarves were lazy will go to the refuse pile.  You'll get bones and skull, but no leather, meat, or fat.  That gets in the way of building a carp tallow bridge over the carp-infested river.
  • I can't figure any way of butchering tame fish, in fact.
  • Fish and other things can get swept through wall grates by a flow, but not through floor grates.  I ended up with my herd of tame pikes in the river, rather than in the pen right next to the river.  There was a fight, one of my tame pike fry beat up a wild pike fry and poked its eye out.
  • Dwarves are much less dumb about putting non-tame fish into a pit: that's one job, since you can't release a non-tame animal.
  • One thing I noticed, which may be a bug: none of the wild fish bred until I tamed one.  Then they just started popping out fry like clockwork.

I've given up on tame fish because I can't figure out how to butcher them.  The setup I'm experimenting with now is a pair of underground chambers full of water, for the fish.  They're connected by a short but narrow passage, in which I have a floodgate.  I dump fish in one pit by building a cage near the 1x1 opening to the pit, and telling my dwarves to pit said fish.  A small opening is critical so that the dwarf can't see it's approaching a fish-infested pit.

When I want to harvest, I wait until some fish are in one chamber, some in the other, I close the connecting floodgate, and I drain one of the chambers (remember: either pump it out, or drain through a floor grate -- not a wall grate!).  That leaves a bunch of fish flopping around until they drown, and I can butcher the corpses.  Fill the chamber back up, reopen the floodgate (in that order: otherwise, you might lose a fish), repeat.

I'm still experimenting.  The two-chamber setup works.  I have a few fish in my pond, but not mating pairs yet.  I only need a couple more times through the catch-and-release cycle to get a pair of sturgeons, then my dwarves will have caviar to go with their seed biscuits.

[edit: formatting]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:28:03 pm by benoit.hudson »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]