Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ceiling fixtures  (Read 1268 times)

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
Ceiling fixtures
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:50:05 pm »

Yes I know, we can't see the ceiling.

But think of the possibilities! When the lighting arc begins, we could install chandiliers. With switches rigged to drop them.

The falling -Clear Glass Chandiler- hits the kobold!
The kobold is struck down.
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Ceiling fixtures
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 11:59:45 pm »

I am instantly filled with inspiration!

You grab the +clear glass lantern+!
You swing across the gap by the +clear glass lantern+!
You hit the guard in the face with your left foot!
It is broken!
The guard's skull has shattered!
The guard's brain has been badly mangeled!
Urist Olonugath, guard, has been struck down.
You land on the ledge!
You stab the Dwarf Mayor in the upper body with your -steel spear-!
It is pierced!
The Dwarf Mayor's heart has been pierced!
Ziril Mesthosineth, Mayor, has been struck down.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:47:37 am »

Because of the nature of the game, it would be very hard to implement ceiling fixtures.

If you want hanging objects - chandeliers - what I would do is make it so that they must be installed from above, where there are at least two tiles of open space, and while hanging over the ground must have a 1-tile ring of unoccupied open space around them.

That, or make light fixtures invisible until accessed, like traffic designations and hidden items.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 04:08:13 am »

There's no reason a 2z level tunnel's roof couldn't support objects

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 12:09:01 pm »

Because of the nature of the game, it would be very hard to implement ceiling fixtures.

If you want hanging objects - chandeliers - what I would do is make it so that they must be installed from above, where there are at least two tiles of open space, and while hanging over the ground must have a 1-tile ring of unoccupied open space around them.

That, or make light fixtures invisible until accessed, like traffic designations and hidden items.

This is probably the right answer, although there's been some excellent thoughts/posts about enabling things on/in the walls, like wallpaper and carpet/rugs...  This is the same thing on a different surface (but still the same kind of border)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:55:13 pm »

Supports and constructed walls already hang off of ceilings.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 08:25:59 pm »

But they fill the tile, mostly. (Supports less so.) All the way from top to bottom, certainly. Not so with most light fixtures. (Lamp-posts excepted.)