Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Goblin Civvies  (Read 847 times)

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More Goblin Civvies
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:38:31 pm »

How would one go about causing like... 75 goblin civilizations to spawn when you have your world set to generate 100 civilizations?

Yes, this may not be the most advised number of Civilizations, I realize that after a 2 hour world-gen. >_> But I'm just looking for any sort of tip.
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Goblin Civvies
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 11:15:26 pm »

You need the edit your raws, the entity file to be exact. Each entity has a line that looks something like [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100], that controls the maximum number of civilizations of that entity that can be created at worldgen. So to get 75 goblin civilizations out of 100, set the four other civilizations to a maximum of 5 or 6, and make sure the goblins are set to at least 75.

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 04:42:32 pm »

Hm... Mind giving me a walk-through or such?
The only thing I've succeeded in editing is the init files. >_>

Edit; I know this has been asked all to hell, but what are the -exact- lines you edit to make them siege faster, too?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:58:59 pm by Wolfking6116 »
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 07:10:55 pm »

Creating more goblin civilisations won't have too much of an effect on how many sieges you get, because the game picks one settlement from each civilisation to interact with you in-game. 

What you could do, though, is duplicate the goblins' civilisation, so that the game thinks that different goblin civs are actually different entities.  First, though, you asked how to make the goblins come earlier:

Go into raw -> objects -> entity_default.txt and find the goblin entry, it starts with "[ENTITY:EVIL]".  Inside that somewhere you will find the following lines:

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2]

Change those all to 1, this makes goblins trigger their antics at earlier levels of population, wealth and traded wealth.  I don't know if it makes sieges happen before population 80, or if it just makes ambushes and thieves start earlier.

Then there's duplicating the goblins, which is hilarious.  Change the first line of the goblin entity to "[ENTITY:EVIL1]", then select the entire thing and copy-paste it three times.  Rename the pasted ones to "EVIL2" and "EVIL3".  Generate a new world and enjoy your goblins!

You'll be able to see if it worked on the neighbours tab of the embark screen - there should now be three goblin civs there.

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 07:20:41 pm »

I think more goblins actually -does- work.
Whenever I have more than a few goblin civilizations in the world my fighters (after a couple of ambushes and such) profiles read as enemies of about 3-5 different goblin civilizations, even if they aren't nearby.

But I think I'll duplicate the goblin lines aswell, just to make it even harder.

Side note; I've had 2 dwarf civilizations interact with me aswell. Although it was my own base civilization and a neighboring one.

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 08:51:37 pm »

Having more goblin civs actually should help.  A lot of people having been reporting their goblins dying out after a certain amount of sieges. More goblin sources = more sieges, if only over time.
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.