Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Elven Diplomat  (Read 869 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
No Elven Diplomat
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:40:23 am »

In my current fort, I have never ever had the pleasure of laughing at an Elven diplomat when he demands I cut less trees.

He just never showed up.

The elven caravan shows up just fine every year, though.

I have population 128 now, my nobles (fortress level = county) are all present and doing just fine.
The human diplomat arrives without problems, shortly before their caravan arrives every year.

There has never been a siege / ambush that endangered elves.

There is no dead Elven diplomat in the deceased list. (Not a single dead Elf, I must shamefully admit)

The area is (was) heavily forested, so there are trees (or at least, saplings) to nag about for the Elves.

Only thing is: I clearcut the map of all trees 2 times already before my fortress became a barony (which, if I am correct, should have triggered the Elven diplomat)

Could that be the reason? No trees left to nag about?

Or has the Elven diplomat been disabled in version 40d?

If not, I should post at the bug reports section..
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Elven Diplomat
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:17:52 am »

I've never seen an elven diplomat.  I started playing in 40d, and I've cut down entire forests of trees.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:57:50 pm »

I've never seen an elven diplomat.  I started playing in 40d, and I've cut down entire forests of trees.

I believe it is a hilarious type of irony that you say that, and your picture is that of an Indian.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:09:38 pm by chaoticjosh »

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:06:06 pm »

i have an elven diplomat every year in my current 40d fortress. maybe the elven civ lost theirs due to a world gen war?
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 02:55:37 pm »

I believe it is a hilarious type of irony that you say that, and your picture is that of an Indian.

You are right.  Perhaps I should start embarking to human towns only, to dismantlereclaim their wooden buildings instead...
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 02:58:49 pm »

no, i wasn't suggesting anything, i just remember that old psa commercial with the crying indian, and i thought it was funny.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:05:09 pm »

I've had fortresses where they took a ridiculously long time to arrive, like I didn't see them until year 20.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 12:18:53 am »

I've had fortresses where they took a ridiculously long time to arrive, like I didn't see them until year 20.

A twenty year fortress? Don't you always collapse the fortress on top of everyone and let loose the magma and water and all the horrid beasties you keep in pits at the tenth year? I thought that was like a rule!
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 01:09:30 am »

No, I like getting a mature fortress with adult dwarves that have lived there for their whole lives, etc.  And I like to leave them pristine when I do abandon so I can explore/loot them with an adventurer.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 01:43:43 am »

You are right.  Perhaps I should start embarking to human towns only, to dismantlereclaim their wooden buildings instead...

If you want to save the trouble, just take out all the walls on the ground floor. Make sure someone disposable does the last one.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!