Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is my problem?  (Read 488 times)

Theusje

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Where is my problem?
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:17:47 am »

okay guys,

I have a 3*3 watercolum, which is over 25 z-lvls high, I made it so that at the bottom it goes under land a bit and then gets up. What I have is a very large U-bend thingy, with one part over 25 z lvls and the other part only 2 high. I closed off the lowest of the two and let the other one fill with water. Then I opened the hatches on the lowest part and nothing happened, then I removed a hatch and only a small amount of water came out. I'm dissapointed about it.

Any advice?

Theusje

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where is my problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:24:38 am »

Can you post some 3Dwarf screenshots, and/or screenshots of the inside of your tower?  I can't tell you exactly what's wrong without seeing what's happening inside the tower.

ByDurinsBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:15:58 am »

I have had this same exact U-bend problem in some earlier game before. The problem, as far as I can tell, is that you used hatches to close off the water (I had floodgates). Preventing flow of water and re-releasing it seems to nullify water pressure, causing it not to rise back up to its original level. This royally messed up my irrigation system and my intent to use a separate waterworks level, built beneath the bottommost level of my fort, to easily channel water anywhere.

edit - to clairy, the problem occurred in a situation where the water had already flowed back upwards by several levels and filled the water ducts to brim. Opening the floodgate simply let the accumulated water flow but there was no pressure to push more water in.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:26:09 am by ByDurinsBeard »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 11:11:58 am »

Is it possible to put more water into the top of the U-bend? 

I believe the water is still pressurized, but I think the pressure is a bit wonky -- it only checks pressure effects when pressure is added.  (See also: why a cube full of 7/7 water has no flow)

Another possible way of engineering what you want is to block near the bottom of the tall part of the u, so that the bottom of the u and the short part are empty.  Then open the blockage, the water should fall, creating pressure checks, which will cause the lower part to overflow, as so:

Code: [Select]
X~X
X~X
X~X X X
XoXX X
X XX X
XXXXX
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.