Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: His only such point: Your points of honor  (Read 1892 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: His only such point: Your points of honor
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 02:42:01 pm »

No Merchant Left Behind - if a merchant shows up, they leave at least 3 times richer.  No exceptions.  I won't buy what I can't pay for 3 times over.  Even the dirty, stinking elves.  We're DWARVES.  We should shame them into subservience with our incredible craftdwarfship.

Bedrooms For All - I build an individual room for every dwarf.  Those rooms are 7x7, with two doors spaced apart.  Nobles get an entire complex of rooms, with bedroom, office, and dining room, regardless of other needs.  All walls are smoothed.  Noble rooms are also fully engraved.

Great Catacomb - I build a huge tomb on the very bottom level of the mountain, with niches cut into the walls for coffins.  Every dwarf gets a burial, no matter what I have to go through to recover their body or how unimportant they are.  All noble coffins are to be made of solid gold or whatever other incredibly valuable metal I can find.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:45:52 pm by Thuellai »
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 04:52:19 pm »

My rules are pretty simple:

> NO TRAPS. Yes, this means you can't trap and tame wild animals which kind of sucks, but it's easier on my brain to just ban traps altogether. Otherwise I start trying to justify that cage trap blocking the entrance to my fort as "It's for animals, really it is"

> THERE MUST ALWAYS BE A PATH INTO THE FORTRESS. Closing the main doors and directing invaders into more easily defended chokepoints is fair game, but no locking up the entire fortress. To make this easier, I typically add either lockpicker or buildingdestroyer to all intelligent races so that locked doors are fair game.

> NO SELLING COOKED FOOD. The values are unbalanced in the high direction, I feel.

> NO SEIZING GOODS. Pay for what you want. If the idiot traders get themselves killed, you can help yourself, but you better pay the next caravan of the appropriate race the balance.

> NO KILLING DWARVES. Err... deliberately that is. All imigrants are welcome, all nobles can stay. If I get a stupid noble, building a hermitage for the nobles and hammerer is the alternative to fufilling the mandates, not execution. If you have too many dwarves, use the init option. That's what it's there for.

> MOD I always play with a few "corrections" to vanilla DF - Crops take longer to grow, goblins don't wear GCS stuff, ect.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 06:18:49 pm »

Goblin loot is a bother to sort everytime so if im not in desperate need of iron - Chasm it all

Practical perfectionist - If it's too much work, wait untill i can get it done perfectly the first time. If it can't wait, get whatever nesscesary for it to function till i can make it perfect

Some dwarf got my attention? Spoil him/her. Another migrant in an accident? To the mass catacomb with them

Traps and millitary - Crossbows, lot's of em, due to the feeble, absent and the anticipatded unpridictibility of the dwarf AI... Or really unesscesary elaborate traps.

Trade - Stonegoods to entertain my stonecrafter, or whatever surplus is annoying me with filling up stockpiles. Like the time i forgot that tailor making silk bags on repeat... must have resulted in over 500 bags.

Nobles are completly ignored and currently they're spewing out sentences but haven't gone moody due to the splendor of my fort.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 12:19:30 am »

Never dump stone. Use it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 01:05:29 am »

I have a set of moral guidelines for my dwarves.

1. A dwarf shall not use wood unless absolutely necessary. Generally this means wooden beds and burning wood for charcoal if there is no coal or lignite. There is no use of wood as decoration, ever. The only exception for this is a possessed strange mood, as the dwarf has no control over what he's using and we blame the evil spirit. Secretive moods, etc, that use wood are immediatly locked in a room/workshop and allowed to starve.

2. Dwarven needs come before all other races. We'll trade fairly with our dwarven brethren, and even with humans and elves... but if the humans or elves (or goblins) have something we need, and we cannot give fair value, we take it without hesitating. Often we will give fair compensation next trade season for these actions.

3. Dwarves shall not pass up an opportunity to kill an agressor. If you're a lone farmer planting some plump helmets in the middle of the night (god that sounds bad if taken out of context) and you come upon a kobald, YOU WILL RUN HIM DOWN by Armok and BITE HIM TO DEATH if need be. All but heroic (see below) dwarves are activated into the military upon the onset of any agression. Bad thoughts from this are mitigated by our legendary dining hall which is, by the way, decorated with bones of kobalds and goblins.

4. Armok requires blood. Once a season, a living humanoid must be sacrificed to Armok. If no non-dwarven entity is available to be sacrificed, a dwarf must take his place. Dwarves are chosen for this based on their need for the honor it brings. A legendary miner needs no more honor, but an undistinguished peasant needs a noble death. If a dwarf is sacrificed, his family is forever honored and need not work for an entire generation. (Wives/kids will have no jobs enabled except healthcare and burial duty, and will not be activated when a siege is incoming.

5. Unusable items are not recycled, they are sacrificed to Armok. Every settlement will have a pit of lava (or water if no lava is available) into which all narrow/tall/unusable items are thrown after being looted from the dead. Incidentally this is where the unbutcherable bodies of enemies are thrown as well. If we find a dwarf has claimed an unusable item, to the pits he goes along with his beloved goblin socks. If a Dwarf opens an exotic clothing store, he is put to death with his entire family.

Other than these guidelines, I handle things as I see fit for a map. Sometimes I build elaborate mechanisms for flooding the entryway with magma or water, sometimes I use traps and crossbows, sometimes I just have hordes of wrestlers or swordsdwarves.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 01:55:41 am »

-No weapon traps. Cage traps are only used to accumulate challengers for an arena, or cultivate wildlife preserves.

-Never, ever cook booze.

-Never sell food.

-No atomsmashers.

-No moats; only exception is if it is used to trap goblins inside.

-Bare minimum of archers.

-No siege weapons.

-No Plump Helmets.

-Gobbo items destroyed when possible.

-No perpetual motion machines.

-Try to stay on the verge of starvation/drought by never importing food, other than flour/sugar for the bags.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:59:05 am by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: 1 [2]