Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FSCK those goddamn ambushes  (Read 1108 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
FSCK those goddamn ambushes
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:41:30 pm »

This has happened far too often.

In winter, I send my patrols outside to clear the area of ambushers. I find max 3 of them, leftovers from previous raids probably. The map is thoroughly checked.

In spring the elves arrive and they bring six goddamn ambush squads with them, who immediately attack the caravan. This, of course, puts the elves in a state of war... with ME!

What the goddamn hell?! Couldn't those goblins attack the caravan outside of my area of influence? It makes no sense to wait until there's my army in the vicinity that will rush to the rescue (not that I've ever managed to save those bastards). Do they enjoy causing wars between us?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 05:58:56 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FSCK those goddamn ambushes
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 05:52:04 pm »

Yup.

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:03:31 pm »

they eat you. they need food! how do you think they get food?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:46:23 pm »

In spring the elves arrive and they bring six goddamn ambush squads with them, who immediately attack the caravan. This, of course, puts the elves in a state of war... with ME!

Mike, this is a GOOD thing, why are you complaining?  ;D

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:59:43 pm »

Come on - you get everything from the caravan for free. You get to test out all the devilish traps, and get your dwarves some free training (at least the ones that aren't turned into pincushions - you did reduce arrow damage in the raws, right? ;) ).

Why, the best part is that you can capture some of the elves, snare a few goblins, and have an intense arena fight.

;D

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:51:22 pm »

ambushes are a pain if your unprepared. but when your ready for it, its pure awesome win.

decide on where your perimeter is. get as close to the edge as you like. dont bother with walls, they take too long. dig some nice channels around the map edge, with periodic openings set with traps. anything coming onto the map has to pass those (sieges, ambushes, wild animals, megabeasts). Also, you can dig ramps to force them upderground- and you can build traps up to the map edge when your underground. just be sure to leave room for the wagons.

check your corpse list periodically, and youll know when you have am ambush that way

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:32:23 pm »

In my experience, having a weapon or cage trap go off actually reveals all the members of the particular ambush that triggered it, even if only one is hit.  They might re-stealth after a while, but for a few minutes after a trap is triggered, they lose their sneakiness and show up on your screen.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:12:22 pm »

ambushes are a pain if your unprepared. but when your ready for it, its pure awesome win.

decide on where your perimeter is. get as close to the edge as you like. dont bother with walls, they take too long. dig some nice channels around the map edge, with periodic openings set with traps. anything coming onto the map has to pass those (sieges, ambushes, wild animals, megabeasts). Also, you can dig ramps to force them upderground- and you can build traps up to the map edge when your underground. just be sure to leave room for the wagons.

check your corpse list periodically, and youll know when you have am ambush that way

I know what you mean by that!

Can't say I was fully ready though!

It was in a old fort where I stationed some squads outside the entrance, out of nowhere I see a cage trap loaded with a theif,(come on I need something for my dwarves to practice on! ;D). Anyway I get an ambush warning, and guess what? Only a one dwarf sword dwarf squad is guarding the entrance from a six green skin, plus a human ambush!

Needless to say my sword dwarf got a special name that year!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 04:43:06 am »

I somehow managed to get a year where the elven caravan, 5 goblin ambushes and a goblin siege of vast proportions coincided.
My fps dropped from 40 to about 5.
By god it was fun.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:51:46 am »

I rely on all the caravans as a source of wood so I actually prefer to have good relations with the other civs. That's why I hate those ambushes.

And Xenon, your idea seems extremely... gamey.
<3

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 06:12:49 am »

I rely on all the caravans as a source of wood so I actually prefer to have good relations with the other civs. That's why I hate those ambushes.

Oh...I wasn't even thinking about this at all, since I am always embarking at "decent" locations. Yeah in that case it's annoying indeed, but you cannot do anything right now to prevent the situation...