Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Obtaining sand via trade  (Read 2189 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining sand via trade
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 04:28:03 pm »

What the players do, and what the dwarven mind is like, tend to be wildly at odds. Witness all the players that want dwarves to commit atrocities like slavery and torture, which are marked as UNTHINKABLE in the raws.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 04:34:38 pm »

Note the game is at odds with itself sometimes.  I believe murder is a heinous crime as well, but fell mood dwarves are free to murder as they see fit.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 05:10:07 pm »

Dwarves take too much pride in their craftsdwarfship to engage in mass-production.

Oh come now. You KNOW this isn't true. Even if everyone accepts it as a valid cultural trait....players pretty much blow that out of the window in Year 1 of their fortress, mass-producing mugs out of radioactive material if they need to, to make money.

That depends on what sort of "mass production" you're talking about.

Making mugs nonstop isn't "mass production"; that's just good old-fashioned hand-crafting that someone happens to be doing repetitively.

"Mass production" refers to making standardized products in a highly mechanical manner, using things like assembly lines, molds, and that sort of thing. It's a trade-off between a gain in speed/ease of production and a loss of individual variations between items, and whatever craftsmanship/quality hand-production would be able to offer instead.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 05:41:26 pm »

"Mass production" refers to making standardized products in a highly mechanical manner, using things like assembly lines, molds, and that sort of thing. It's a trade-off between a gain in speed/ease of production and a loss of individual variations between items, and whatever craftsmanship/quality hand-production would be able to offer instead.

You have obviously never been to an Asian carpentry shop.  Know those 12" wooden dragon figurines that everyone seems to have?

Seriously all carved by one dude working 12 hours a day and makes 40 of them, by hand, and they're neigh identical, every last one.

I'd call that mass produced.

I'll see if I can come up with a picture.

Edit:
My point is, "hand carved" only means that the mistakes are unique, not the design.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:45:40 pm by Draco18s »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 05:46:09 pm »

Making mugs nonstop isn't "mass production"; that's just good old-fashioned hand-crafting that someone happens to be doing repetitively.

Sounds like a "Manufacture".
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 06:34:16 pm »

sand and glass trading officially in for next version.

see here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30026.msg1019841#msg1019841
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 11:07:20 pm »

You have obviously never been to an Asian carpentry shop.  Know those 12" wooden dragon figurines that everyone seems to have?

Seriously all carved by one dude working 12 hours a day and makes 40 of them, by hand, and they're neigh identical, every last one.

I'd call that mass produced.

I'll see if I can come up with a picture.

Edit:
My point is, "hand carved" only means that the mistakes are unique, not the design.

There's still a point of pride in doing it by hand, and dwarves are pretty big on that.

Also, there's absolutely no indication that dwarves follow the same design pattern repetitiously in order to save time. In anything, it's the opposite: Every item made is distinct from every other item and is rolled completely separately. The only reason the effects of this aren't clear is because items are pretty samey at the moment, in the sense that not much is going to distinguish between those mugs in the first place.

Sounds like a "Manufacture".

That technically applies to making anything, in any manner involving tools, but I think I know what you mean, and the above applies.

sand and glass trading officially in for next version.

It's been mentioned in this thread at least twice; we know.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 11:10:21 pm »

In anything, it's the opposite: Every item made is distinct from every other item and is rolled completely separately.

Aren't mugs and goblets made in stacks of 3?  And for a more extreme example, bolts?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:42 pm »

I think that this is one of those things that varies from dwarf culture to dwarf culture.  Remember, they're not all going to be identical.  Some might value individual craftsmanship; others might value conformity and turning out as many identical things as possible according to the traditional method.

Both seem Dwarfy to me, in different ways.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 11:45:35 pm »

In anything, it's the opposite: Every item made is distinct from every other item and is rolled completely separately.

Aren't mugs and goblets made in stacks of 3?  And for a more extreme example, bolts?

Okay, that's a point, but batches of three are still hardly mass production, and bolts are a more utilitarian thing that would be made in batches anyway. The different batches are still distinct.

Also, are all the mugs in a group of 3 the same quality to begin with, or are they rolled separately?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 11:47:37 pm »

Here we go.  Found one of the photos that will do the job.

http://nargus.deviantart.com/art/The-Dragon-Maker-1-32053692 *

In the lower right there are some painted curly dragons.  I've got one that's unpainted.  There are four on that table.  I did not buy from that shop (odds are very much against it).

Damn.

Freaking.

Identical.

$12 for a hand-carved Thai carpentry.

*Nargus is a good friend of mine and wish I'd met him before I traveled to Thailand, we could have met up and had lunch or something.
Pages: 1 [2]