Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spare Nobility  (Read 1015 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Spare Nobility
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:27:40 pm »

Because of the poor living conditions in my fortress, at least by the standards of a Count, my first two Counts went bonkers and died.  To be fair to me, the first Count entered my map as a Baron and became a Count as he walked across the meadow to the outer gate of the fortress.  I was in no way prepared for such demands as he made for housing, etc.  I felt bad that the two Counts died, as they seemed to be gentle souls.  Their widows, however, I could live without.  One of them wants Pig Iron items, and as we all know, there are none that can be made.  I tried making pig iron bars for a noble in a previous fortress and that did not satisfy.  This woman has been to blame for the beating deaths of some good craftsmen, and I would like to be rid of her.  The second one is less trouble, and she had a son not long after her husband died babbling madly.  I thought perhaps just getting rid of the first would be enough to make life easier for the rest without killing a mother.  But I just looked at the first widow, and sometime in the passing years she also bore a son.  I'm sure she did not have one within any reasonable timeframe after her husband wasted away.  Do dwarves go on having children by dead spouses?   :o

But my main question is, the only close attachments these two women have are to one son each.  Will there be any real problems if they, somehow, accidentally drown in a bedroom set up for the two of them in an oddly damp location?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spare Nobility
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:48:16 pm »

If you have a nice dining room then it's probably safe.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:54:08 pm »

Drown the kids as well, just to be sure.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:27:06 am »

Mission accomplished, on the widows.  I left the kids alive.  They are both Child stage and can survive on their own.  I imagine they are eating a legendary dinner in the legendary dining hall, awaiting the new waterfall.  The construction of the new waterfall has been unaccountably delayed by some kind of problem in the upper cistern ...

The first widow was the pig iron fan.  She was easily duped into entering the fatal room.  In fact, when it turned out to be leaky the first time she went back again to retrieve something she had dropped.  Even though I left her body in there while I was repairing the lower level problems associated with the leak (no, gears are not watertight despite what I thought I read), it was able to be retrieved and placed in her tomb once I did drain the room.

The second widow was much cannier.  When I relocated both her bedroom and her dining room into the fatal room, she began moving her items into her tomb.  I locked the door to her tomb.  She then went drinking.  After a long while in the drinks stockpile, she finally picked up one of her items and went to her new "quarters".  It was almost as if she knew what was going to happen.  As I waited, I imagined a rather catty conversation between her and the true Duchess Consort, regarding her new "quarters" where she knew her predecessor had died.

As soon as she died, I opened the floodgate to drain the room.  Her body had vanished.  The outflow is filtered two levels down and captured some items, but there was no corpse even though the draining was done much more quickly than for the first one.  Also, the game suddenly improved FPS.  I am wondering if it was somehow bogged down by more than one Duchess Consort and took off as soon as I got rid of the second widow.  I got my first Dwarven caravan in years, also.

I found it ironic that the dwarf who pulled the lever to drain the room the second time was none other than the Duke himself.  I wonder if he is happy to be rid of two nagging consorts that were not even his.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:35:20 am »

wow.....thats funney.....well good luck with ur game...
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 01:37:58 am »

How we take joy in murder. It really should have been Drow fortress.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 07:07:24 am »

eh, drow are just elves kidnapped by goblins.

goblin fortress sounds like a lot of fun though....

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 12:26:16 pm »

That's a Community game in the making right there.  Pity creatures don't randomly murder each other in fortress mode yet.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 03:44:13 pm »

The second widow was much cannier.  When I relocated both her bedroom and her dining room into the fatal room, she began moving her items into her tomb.  I locked the door to her tomb.  She then went drinking.  After a long while in the drinks stockpile, she finally picked up one of her items and went to her new "quarters".  It was almost as if she knew what was going to happen.  As I waited, I imagined a rather catty conversation between her and the true Duchess Consort, regarding her new "quarters" where she knew her predecessor had died.

Wow. Can Toady confirm whether there's any actual game mechanic for this?