Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick display of current armour level (detailed sugg. for the Army Arc)  (Read 951 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart

I'm sick and tired of having to look through each and every soldier's inventory to check if he has all the armour parts he needs. This is what my heart desires, a simple graph in the preferences screen:

(the thing below is just to clarify the elements).

The idea is that every segment would light up in colours:
red- no armour
yellow- some armour present but not high-level enough
green- desired armour level achieved.

Pretty please?
P.S. If this was represented on the military screen, it would be even more awesome...
<3

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick display of current armour level (detailed sugg. for the Army Arc)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 12:59:17 pm »

This would be helpful but your graphical approach doesn't make much sense.  It's too dependent on a humanoid body structure.  And ugly.

Maybe a toggle-able armor view on the wounds screen, which would simply highlight the various body parts with the colors you suggested?

Both of these solutions suck, though, because they still require you to look at each soldier.  I'm not going to speculate too much here since the military screen's being gutted, but I think having indicators on the military screen (next to armor level and shield level) would be more helpful.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:01:10 pm by Footkerchief »

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:36:28 pm »

I like it, it's just that the graphical representation for weapons and shields needs to be like, modular, like there is a graphical difference between a buckler and a tower shield, or an axe and crossbow.

So, yeah, we need graphics for other weapons... picks... ecetera ( etc. = ecetera ) .

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 01:47:57 pm »

^^^ We don't even have full support for tile graphics yet and you want, essentially, modular sprite graphics a la Baldur's Gate or SNES JRPGs?  And just to serve the purpose of showing an equipment summary that would probably be simpler via text anyway?

Terry von Feledae

• Bay Watcher
  • It's Mechadwarf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 02:09:22 pm »

Perhaps you could have the game show a percentage of sufficient or obsolete armour in the military screen, and if one of the dwarves has below 100/above 0 percent, one could just zoom on that dwarf and handle him individually as sugested above?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 02:20:02 pm »

How about on the squad page you add a list of all the dwarves in the squad. You then have an icon saying wether they are injured, have the right equipment etc. and you can select each dwarf through that screen to see what s/he needs.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 03:56:55 pm »

I would love something like this. I agree that this information should be easily accessed from an individual soldier's screen, but I think some way to get an overview of the equipment state of the entire military is even more important - that way you would only have to check one screen instead of each soldier individually.

Shamelessly quoting myself here, something I wrote a while back in on of the "Return of the Guilds" threads:

Quote from: MMad
However, one thing I'd really like is for the Captain to be able to give me a report on the current state of the forces.

Suppose I have three squads of 5 each - A, B and C. I order everyone in A to equip crossbows, leather armor and waterskins, everyone in B to equip axes, plate armor, backpacks and waterskins and everyone in C to fight unarmed in plate armor and with shields. The Captain would keep track of how his troops are supplied and would be able to tell me stuff like the following:

"15 dwarves are ordered to sleep in the barracks, but there are only 8 beds.
10 dwarves are ordered to carry water, but we only have 6 waterskins.
5 dwarves are ordered to use crossbows, but we only have 4 quivers.
5 dwarves are ordered to equip plate armor, but we only have 1 helm.
5 dwarves are ordered to equip plate armor, but we have no greaves.
We are running low on practice bolts, we only have 28 bolts left.
We have run out of rations."

This kind of smart reporting would help enormously when managing an army and would make it easy to figure out deficiencies and shortages. Furthermore, you should be able to specify "exceptional steel plate or better only" to stop dwarves carrying (turtle shell helm) and (bronze battle axe) and stuff like that. Or they could just be smart enough to upgrade their equipment on their own.. :)

Even with something like this though, a quasi-graphical inventory display of individual dwarves' inventory would be pretty sweet.

Also: re-reading my post above, I realized there are some additional military gear the OP suggestion doesn't list, such as quiver, bedroll, waterskin, secondary weapon etc. I find myself checking my soldiers for these things as often as I check their armor, so perhaps they should be there as well.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

Bedroll?  Huh?

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 05:20:10 pm »

So they can sleep outside on the ground more easily, I think.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 04:36:39 am »

I think I meant backpack, dunno where bedroll came from. :) Although I believe bedrolls have been discussed previously - they do make sense as items you could ask soldiers to carry in order to make sleeping outside less demoralizing. Would be useful for squads you want to keep stationed or patrolling outside for long periods of time.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 06:08:38 am »

Why not have the "armor" selection on the military screen red if no armor is available, blue if the soldier is wearing lower-level armor only, yellow if wearing some armor of the desired level but not all, and green if he has a full set on?
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 01:58:24 pm »

Yeah, just replace blue with orange.

So this is the way of notifying us on the military screen (which is generally more important)- but then we have to check the individual dwarves and be able to quickly tell which armour parts are missing- hence my initial suggestion.
<3