Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Digging Weapon?  (Read 1257 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
New Digging Weapon?
« on: October 18, 2008, 04:22:57 am »

Is there any way to mod in a new digging implement? I want my new snailmen to be able to use shovels made of Wood.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: New Digging Weapon?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:25:54 am »

Offhand, I'd say yes - there's a clockwork race out there somewhere that had "digging tools" which were their own item, but I'd have to look at the code to tell you how.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 06:32:17 am »

Making a new digging weapon is as easy as it gets.  However, they can't be made out of wood.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 06:33:59 am »

Why, Elevs can make wood weps
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 06:39:38 am »

Yes, but things go a bit berserk when digging implements are involved.  You'll end up with adamantine shovels rather than wooden ones.

Just ask Sean, he tried making wooden diggers before.  Much absurdity followed.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 07:23:38 am »

Sean?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 09:46:24 am »

As in Mirrsen.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 10:01:41 am »

Anyway, what is stopping me from waltzing in and making a Wooden Spade, Expecpt my lack of knowledge?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 10:49:54 am »

Metal usage is handled differently for different kinds of items.  For whatever reason, the game goes nutty when you try to give wood_pref creatures a digging item.  The game can't comprehend a wooden pick.

It probably has something to do with how different types of equipment are given different metal priorities. 

I don't think it's possible to import or bring along an obsidian weapon, but you might be able to make an obsidian shovel on the site.  I've never tried it, however, so results may be peculiar.

As for making the item, you just have to peek into the item_weapon.txt which is in the raw folder.  Take a look at the entry for picks, and figure out how it's put together.  Then just make a similar entry with a different name and so on, and add the [CAN_STONE] tag if you want to try the obsidian approach.

Then go into the entity_default.txt and give your critters the [DIGGER:???] tag, with the ??? being the entry name of your new digging item (like ITEM_WEAPON_PICK for standard picks)

Edit:  Goddamn smileys...

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 11:01:55 am »

Here it is

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess it must have to be metal.....for know.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 02:24:21 pm »

Actually there might be a way.

Add the [RANGED:BLOWGUN:BLOWDART] tag to the weapon, then you should be able to make them out of wood or bone at a bowyer's shop (using the crossbow-making skill).  Once you've made enough you should probably remove the RANGED tag again.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 07:19:36 pm »

Actually I think you can add material tags to weapons & armor that determine what it can be made out of.  But if you don't add any of those tags it just goes by the race's [PREF] tag.

But I'm not 100% sure about this.  It's just an educated guess. :-\
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 08:44:36 pm »

Actually I think you can add material tags to weapons & armor that determine what it can be made out of.  But if you don't add any of those tags it just goes by the race's [PREF] tag.

But I'm not 100% sure about this.  It's just an educated guess. :-\

That's true of armor.  For weapons, not really -- the [CAN_STONE] tag lets you make them of sharpenable rock e.g. obsidian, but there's no way to specify wood or bone.  My way should work, though.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 09:32:28 pm »

Add the [RANGED:BLOWGUN:BLOWDART] tag to the weapon, then you should be able to make them out of wood or bone at a bowyer's shop (using the crossbow-making skill).  Once you've made enough you should probably remove the RANGED tag again.

I just realized how much more awesome that would make drafted miners.  Even at a range they could be deadly.  Assuming you can find blowgun ammo.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 06:50:05 pm »

I just realized how much more awesome that would make drafted miners.  Even at a range they could be deadly.  Assuming you can find blowgun ammo.
Except the point of adding the [RANGED:BLOWGUN:BLOWDART] tag is that it lets bowyers (the only weapon-making skill that uses wood, apparently) make them. If the dwarf using the weapon can't get the ammunition that the tag implies (or make, for that matter, as in the case of blowdarts, something that has annoyed every player that has ever had a dwarf make an artifact blowgun) they'll just beat stuff with it, using the second skill it talks about. This is both why marksdwarves beat people with their crossbows using the hammerdwarf skill when they run out of bolts and why miners are deadly with their picks (when they attack it uses the mining tag for damage rather than the wrestler skill they would normally use while "unarmed").