Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble with wine  (Read 848 times)

Tsktac

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the fish!
    • View Profile
Trouble with wine
« on: October 22, 2008, 01:48:51 pm »

Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum.  I didn't know where else to put it.

I've had this problem with dwarf fortress ever since I switched to Ubuntu (Best decision ever anyway) a month and a half ago.  I installed wine, I unzipped Dwarfort and clicked play, then instead of the blocky intro that usually greets me before every multi hour session of gaming I only hear a piercing "BEEEEEYOONND QUALLLLLITYYYYY" and no video response.  I then notice the only way to advance to the intro video is by pressing space and even then I only hear the infamous medley of Dwarfiness.
  By now I think "A quick trip to Google should clear this up".  I check the omniscient search engine to find some one else has problems with wine,Totally unrelated to mine but hopefully I can learn something from it.  It doesn't help, so I post my own thread on the Ubuntu forum only to go on a wild goose hunt for about a week and a half.
  Now I'm hoping that any linux users here could help a newbie out.
P.s.  It's been so weird since I had to stop playing.  The last  time my friend brought his laptop over he played DF and it looked like an unintelligible blob of ascii.  It's like forgetting a language or something.
P.s. This is a copy of my thread in general discussion.  I just didn't know which forum to put it in.

lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with wine
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:53:43 pm »

I remember having difficulties with the intro, try disabling it in the ini.  You might also be having partial print weirdness.

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 09:14:04 pm »

I only get that problem when I'm resetting my resolution and I accidentally change the font to something non-existent. Might try looking into something similar.
Now you will know why you fear the night!

Stathol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:51:30 pm »

Are you launching DF by double-clicking on the dwarfort.exe file from a Nautilus window? If so, I think I know what's going on.

Apparently Dwarf Fortress just assumes that the working (current) directory is set to the DF directory. This is a safe enough assumption in Windows, because if the working directory hasn't been explicitly set by a shortcut or by launching from the CLI, then the Windows binary loader automatically sets it to the image path. Wine? Not so much. It probably just defaults to your home directory.

Long story short, DF can't find the resources it needs (most notably the font files for displaying text) because it's looking in the wrong place. Launch a shell and cd into the DF folder (probably ~/.wine/drive_c/whatever/) and then run wine dwarfort.exe from there.

If that works, you could create a shell script to do this for you in the future. Make a file called "dwarfort.sh" (or whatever you'd like) and edit it to:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Dwarf\ Fortress/
wine dwarfort.exe

You'll need to edit the path according to your own system, of course. Also remember to set the shell script to be executable. You can then launch DF by double-clicking the script instead of the dwarfort executable. You can either save the script in your desktop folder, or make a symlink to it from your desktop. If you want to get fancy, you can even make a Nautilus desktop launcher that runs the shell script instead. Useful if you'd like to set an icon for it -- I borrowed the one from the Mike's Mayday distribution.

There may be a more elegant way to do this with a command-line option for Wine, but a quick scan of the man entry wasn't terribly revealing. I only recently switched to Ubuntu myself, so it's entirely possible that my solution is a completely retarded way to handle this :P