Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Advanced personalities and evolving culture  (Read 2774 times)

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perversion
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 01:35:32 am »

An overenthusiastic soldier should be a berserker, which would also be a good invisible trait they might have.  Perhaps make a berserker more effective at hurting others but bad at defending themselves, and you've got a one-shot kamikaze dwarf.  They rush in, do a lot of damage while ignoring their own wounds, and then battle ends... and they promptly fall over because they were greviously wounded during the fight.

I'd like to say also that I approve of this idea of there being an Asylum structure if these are implemented.  If social skills help in treating others, then maybe that should apply outside the Asylum too.  It'd give a purpose to all the parties dwarves throw, if parties made them less likely to go weird. 

I've never actually seen a social skill above the basic level though.  I'd have a lot of trouble staffing an Asylum.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 12:22:48 pm »

Another possibility is that if dwarven psychiatrists get implemented, they could also sniff out these dwarves - and if they're a low enough level, perhaps reverse the effect, e.g. a level 1 anarchist might be convinced by a good psyche and revert to a happy normal dwarf or whatever...  whereas a level 10 anarchist might try to kill the psychiatrist.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 12:53:51 pm »

Don't think WH40K Inquisition, think "The Inquisition! What a show! The Inquisition! Here we Go! We're on a Mission- To Convert the Jews-Jew-Jew-Jew-Jew-Jew-Jew-Jews!" A la Mel Brooks, History of the World Part 1, or "NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!" A la Monty Python.

Or for those who have no bleedin' clue what those references are (and shame on you!), think priest zealots, not soldier zealots. Preachers screaming about their God on street corners, preaching to the masses. Taking it a biiiit farther than socially acceptable. And "a bit" is rather a long way in dwarven measurements, so they might even be organizing mass-lynchings and pogroms on those who aren't with their beliefs.

And I've decided to include the link to HotW(Pt.1) The Inquisition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxnaMeOK20
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:52:56 pm by StrayCat »
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 02:50:48 pm »

As a side note, anarchism is not random violence, much like democracy is not a military regime... though there are some who confuse the two - for example in Iraq.

I'd say that seven dwarves living in a commune is pretty close to anarchic desires. Anarchists might object to the introduction of money, the arrival of nobles, the paying of tribute to a warring king, the draft, etc. Whether they use violence to express their opinion should depend on their personality: depression, strikes etc. are other options.
Their polar opposites would be fascists, who like being told what to do by nobles, being drafted, consorting with similar dwarves, etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 03:19:01 pm »

There are an absurd amount of different anarchist philosophies out there. I know, I just checked, and it blew my mind. But for the sake of making things FUN (losing more often), let's employ the violent ones here.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 04:43:50 pm »

Oh, I'm just mentioning it, there's no need to open up a political discussion here. The system should be more flexible: you have different groups, that act on their differences is in ways depending as much on the personalities of the dwarves partaking, as the particular ideology: the anarchist plethora of interpretations illustrates that nicely. But then i'm talking about pacifism and such, which is a political view but hardly a perversion (or is it, for dwarves?). To conclude, political views shouldn't be a perversion, a propensity for the use of violence to attain one's goal could.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 04:51:04 pm »

Perhaps most of these should result from interaction of the various (almost unused) personality traits already in the game? People with a healthy respect for tradition and stability are unlikely to become anarchists for instance. Low empathy could cause sadism, Immoderation could or a lack of self discipline could cause some sexual deviancy. Abnormally high caution could cause one of the various paranoia from wanting to kill the neighbors to making and trapping their own room in the most remote part of the fortress.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 05:07:19 pm »

Interactions may perhaps contribute to factions forming too easy. Conservatism, religiosity and fascism tend to correlate, as does anarchism, individualism and neophilism.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 05:34:44 pm »

I disagree, when I imagine my utopia it all too often turns facist but I am not conservative. (and religion has nothing to do with either.)
The great game of Warlocks!

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 05:59:46 pm »

I disagree, when I imagine my utopia it all too often turns facist but I am not conservative. (and religion has nothing to do with either.)

I'm not stating psychological facts, rather observing that conservativism is about retaining the existing structures, "normal" religion is conservative, and fascism (as in a psychological personality trait) about subordinating to and enforcing authority structures. All of these deal with taken-for-granted and not-to-be-questioned "truths". Therefore, from a statistical and sociological perspective, at least as applied to a game of DF type and in relation to this thread, the above holds.

Your personal philosophy is not debated :)
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2008, 11:13:28 pm »

Weeel. Unless you want to go right into politics it's fine, though with my idea you can have extremist politicals, and maybe they'll become worse if they get into power.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Joutilas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced personalities and evolving culture
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2008, 03:59:09 am »

I edited the first post to better reflect the direction the discussion has been going towards.

BTW: looking at the current dev. notes, imagine entering dwarven hell where all the miscreants of your previous fortress are locked in, suffering from their crimes ;-)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced personalities and evolving culture
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 01:40:31 pm »

Maybe not 100% what you meant, but reading the dev notes screamed at me 'Kids could develop their personalities based on what happens when they are growing up' 

Somewhat like how you could tweak kids personalities in the Sims...
Pages: 1 2 [3]