Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Longest wait for immigrants:  (Read 2192 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Longest wait for immigrants:
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 06:42:48 pm »

Do you have contact with a Dwarf civilization at all? If you don't, you won't see any immigrants at all IIRC.

*edit*

Nevermind, the OP + me were replying in the same time. As I see, the problem is solved.  :)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 08:54:22 pm »

Well...I finally got the immigrants...they arrived at the beginning of late spring. Man...I got...20 in this wave. This is insane.

Quote from: Magua
Is spring over?  Sometimes the immigrants don't arrive until the end.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 09:55:39 pm »

Heh, I just had to abandon a fortress because I got 3 30 dwarf waves in a row, and it was only spring of the second year.  There was in no way food for 100 dwarves.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 08:07:06 am »

Heh, I just had to abandon a fortress because I got 3 30 dwarf waves in a row, and it was only spring of the second year.  There was in no way food for 100 dwarves.

That is a problem?  :o
Just kill the unnecessary dwarves. Problem solved.  ;)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 09:47:42 am »

Um... with my 'child safe' fortress? Yes, that is a problem (there's nothing for melencholy dwarves to do but jump 1 z level off my fort entrance until they stare to death)

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 10:22:37 am »

I once went three years without an immigrant.

I was down to three dwarves hiding in their hole, waiting to die.

Then lo' and behold, a cheesmaker, his peasant wife, and his two children show up to get mauled by a few zombie deer.
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 07:39:15 pm »

I had to wait three years before getting my first immigrants once. So I just spent those years hollowing out a ton of bedrooms and building a fantastic dining room with a huge farm just waiting for labour.

Which is good because I got like 20 immigrants at once, and they came in waves of 20 from then on. I had to stop playing because my fortress has a population of 96, and it was just too slow. Took hours for seasons to change. Since then, I haven't had the patience to play with large populations.

Building bedrooms makes my wrist hurt. I think DF gave me carpal tunnel. :(

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 11:33:54 pm »

The reverse problem: In my current fortress I had an immigrant wave arrive in the first SUMMER.

The problem was that a group of fire imps were squarely between their arrival point and my fortress. Thank god I didn't have a meeting area designated, so they didn't walk right through the Fimps. I drafted them all and marched them to the fortress by an indirect way.

Problem, two children weren't able to be drafted, and remained at the edge of the map with fire imps getting closer. Also, one of the migrants was a woodcutter; and when I drafted him I forgot to set him to keep his axe, so he left it behind.

Result, as soon as I undraft them, they all run back outside, back torwards the imps.

I wind up drafting my 3 miners, my woodcutter and my armourer (who was holding an axe at the time) from the original seven and set them at the imps. The running fight went back and forth across the tundra as the Fimps chased random dwarves and my founders chased them.

Result, 4 dead fire imps; and eventually some funky bones in the stockpile. I think they eventually made 3 crossbows and a set of leggings.

We lose a peasant, a (migrant) woodcutter, a child, and a dog. More seriously, my armourer broke his arm and died of thirst before he could recover. My 2nd miner/expedition leader proved tough enough to recover from multiple injuries, only to die in a shocking own-goal by me that winter.

The dead child's clothing was never reclaimed, and as of six years later grows more and more threadbare on the haunted snow. All except the cloak, which was stolen by a raccoon last week.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:37:01 pm by Marlowe »

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 08:07:15 am »

Way cool.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 03:22:30 pm »

I`ve resorted to setting the max pop really low , say 40 dwarves. I`m hoping I can jack it up by 20 at a time - it`s not that I can`t handle that amount but I hate how the game crawls at 30fps when I have important stuff to get done.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 04:17:39 pm »

i have about 150 dwarves in my fort....bout 46 animals....196 total.... now where is that damn king.... he should arrive in fall with his entourage which will put me over 200 and then to top it i have a water fall about 15 z-levels high...

My forts = Crappy Comp Killers
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 08:32:49 pm »

Then lo' and behold, a cheesmaker, his peasant wife, and his two children show up to get mauled by a few zombie deer.

How do you get mauled by zombie deer? Those things have trouble outrunning an oncoming glacier.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 09:27:47 pm »

How do you get mauled by zombie deer? Those things have trouble outrunning an oncoming glacier.
It's either they spawned near it.
Or they tried to tame it.
Pages: 1 [2]