Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the perils of the underground river  (Read 1825 times)

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
the perils of the underground river
« on: October 20, 2008, 04:18:14 am »

can anyone give my advice on how to find my underground river. I thought it would be easy because i know that it's in the upper-leftmost corner of my map, but i can't seem to find it, i don't really know what i expect my forum compatriots to do to help, but i'm really getting annoyed because i've seached every other z level, presuming that at the very least i would find damp rock if it was above me (right?) but i just can't seem to find it.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: the perils of the underground river
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 05:02:29 am »

finding it can be tricky, as they're quite narrow(i'm not sure if i remember correctly, but it should be about 5-6 squares wide)so You can easily miss it with your exploratory mining when using vertical shafts. I guess it's better to dig one shaft and then dig tunnels on every z-level in all 4 cardinal directions, or if You know where it's supposed to be, just dig in that dir. Just try not going from undergdround towards the surface, one of my dorf dug a stairway right underneath the riverbed and got flushed down(and then swarmed with snakeman zombies). and no, there was no 'damp stone' warning.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 05:07:37 am »

Oh yeah, make sure you have a couple of guards on standby near the shaft...those underground rivers are stuffed with lizardmen and snakemen. Not to mention the giant olms.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:10:44 am »

so, i'm going to have to search every z level then, huh
I'm going to assume that it could be on any z level below the first.

i'm just trying to find it right now, it's not even connected to my base

i've heard of pressurized underground rivers, are these common/existent, because i could see how it would happen in a narrow tunnel.
Delicious wine biscuits

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:16:04 am »

not every z level. usually above the water there is one empty tile, and when you are digging just below it you get the damp stone thing, so it is not needed to look in every z level.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:37:26 pm »

Maybe the 3D Dwarf Viewer would help.  Just remember to have it check for hidden features when it compiles your map.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:04:05 pm »

My underground river was significantly (like 15+) levels above level 1, so you'll have to look up as well.  I used the 3D viewer to find it.  I have like 140 z-levels, so there was no way I was searching that entire mountain for it.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:29:12 pm »

And if you go deeper than five z-levels, be sure to install a LOT of doors. In case of flood, of course. Don't want that iron patch forever flooded.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 08:42:29 pm »

If you're going to do horizontal search tunnels do them diagonally.  It's more efficient.

I think vertical shafts are still your best bet, though.  Build them 32 spaces apart, then insert shafts at 16, then 8, and so on, doubling the resolution until you hit your river.  Here's an example showing the widths of the gaps:

Code: [Select]
Pass 1:
 v-- ...... 31 spaces ...... --v
X...............................X
Pass 2:
 v- 15 spaces -v v- 15 spaces -v
X...............X...............X
Pass 3:
 v- 7 -v         v- 7 -v
X.......X.......X.......X.......X
Pass 4:
X...X...X...X...X...X...X...X...X

Arrange these test shafts on a diagonal and you'll probably only need to dig one line of them.  Rivers generally run in a straight line, so a diagonal series of test shafts will intersect it if it runs either NS or EW.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 04:31:26 pm »

i found it with 3d dwarf, but something wierd happened with my cave river. it's supposed to empty out of the top of my map, but instead it drops into a waterfall, then below that is solid rock. I think it's a glitch.
Delicious wine biscuits