Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Basic worldgen changes  (Read 1028 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Basic worldgen changes
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:40:48 am »

Is there a way to limit the amounts of specific civs created? I gather limiting civs to 5 and having a short world gen will give me all races but is there a way to say, increase the amount of goblin civs? Would this have practical effects on the world such as increased sieges?

Is there a way to make the entire world cold? Would this kill off civs? What other practical effects would lowered temperature have? Basically I want winters to feel like winters and it's an absolute pain to find a suitable area, let alone one with appropriate temperature

Can I stop mountains and oceans from becoming evil? They eat up all the evil squares in the world and thus beak dogs and their evil swamps end up not existing and goblins bring nothing with them (don't really know how to solve the troll issue). Also, can mountain range size by limited somehow? All the squares within are wasted and they usually pack the features I would have wanted

How are bottomless pits formed? Are they magma vents that dry up during world gen? Can they coexist with magma pipes? Regular chasms creep me out but I do need a way to get rid of water. Increasing volcanism might give me more pipes to increase the likelihood of them coexisting but that destroys flux layers

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: Basic worldgen changes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:43:46 am »

On civ generation and types:  the only way I know for sure to get more Goblin civs is to duplicate their entity a few times.

On making the world cold:  Zero out rejection criteria, and then set min-max temperature low as you please.  Will possibly cause civ issues, yes, and may cause issues with above-ground farming availability.

On evil square distribution:  Not something I know much about.

On bottomless pits:  Likewise.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:48:59 am »

I had no problems farming things outside in the middle of the winter in my last cold spot so I don't think it matters

The min-max temperatures did nothing for me, I still ended up with a temperate world even when I set both values low

Guess I could allow half the world to be temperate as long as it gets colder toward the north. Don't really understand how the generator assigns said areas though

While I'm at it, do civs avoid evil areas or is it savage only?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:52:16 am by Pilsu »

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 12:51:46 am »

HOW low?  0 isn't the minimum value for temperature if I remember correctly - set both extremely low, and set variance low as well.  This should get you huge expanses of cold areas.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 12:53:33 am »

25. This was the minimum in regular world gen and it produced anything up to glaciers. But I guess it's not that simple since lowering both max and min still gave me temperate crap

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:53:23 am »

Can I stop mountains and oceans from becoming evil? They eat up all the evil squares in the world and thus beak dogs and their evil swamps end up not existing and goblins bring nothing with them (don't really know how to solve the troll issue). Also, can mountain range size by limited somehow? All the squares within are wasted and they usually pack the features I would have wanted
Check out the "____ squares in small/medium regions" controls. Increasing the number of evil squares in small subregions while decreasing the number of evil squares in large subregions will scatter your evil in small pockets across the world rather than in a single massive evil ocean. Same with mountain ranges (and anything else).

How are bottomless pits formed? Are they magma vents that dry up during world gen? Can they coexist with magma pipes? Regular chasms creep me out but I do need a way to get rid of water. Increasing volcanism might give me more pipes to increase the likelihood of them coexisting but that destroys flux layers

I'm not sure how bottomless pits are formed, but, I've had a lot of success changing the "volcanism weighted mesh" size to 2x2, and then heavily weighting the two ends of the scale (I think I have 45 low, 35 high, and 10/5/5 in the middle), which (I think) makes there be a lot of high and low volcanism squares, with not much in the middle. On the edges of those, you get plenty of flux next to magma pipes.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:34:25 am »

Well, the evil thing worked but nothing else produces viable results. Tried the mesh size on temperature and still got temperate to freezing crap, cold regions barely existing

Sigh

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 02:10:08 am »

Well, the evil thing worked but nothing else produces viable results. Tried the mesh size on temperature and still got temperate to freezing crap, cold regions barely existing

Sigh

Increase the number of squares in glacier and tundra biomes, decrease the other ones. Weighted mesh only becomes important when you want extremes that wouldn't normally happen together to coexist (like sedimentary and active volcanos)
Try my orc mod!

Nichtschwert

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 12:40:49 pm »

Hi! I'm currently working on a similar project... It actually worked and now I have aworld of massive cold and some small freezing regions... However... I need somewhat more. I want to eliminate Forests, Grassland, Hills and Deserts altogether, creating worlds made solely of Tundras, Glaciers, Mountains and Oceans... Reducing the unwanted regions to 0:0:0 didn't work... Could you halp me out, please?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:43:39 pm by Nichtschwert »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:30:33 pm »

Hi! I'm currently working on a similar project... It actually worked and now I have aworld of massive cold and some small freezing regions... However... I need somewhat more. I want to eliminate Forests, Grassland, Hills and Deserts altogether, creating worlds made solely of Tundras, Glaciers, Mountains and Oceans... Reducing the unwanted regions to 0:0:0 didn't work... Could you halp me out, please?

Since the numbers are minimums, you probably want to increase the number of tundra/glacier/mountain/ocean squares as well.

I'll also note that a world like that would have no trees, which might cause some interesting issues (no beds, for one).
Try my orc mod!

Nichtschwert

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

Since the numbers are minimums, you probably want to increase the number of tundra/glacier/mountain/ocean squares as well.

I'll also note that a world like that would have no trees, which might cause some interesting issues (no beds, for one).

I tried that... Resulted in the Worldgenerator being unable to create enough glaciers... Might just be a matter of fine tuning.

Well, there's still underground forests... Although that is going to be tough too, as long as you don't find any magma or stuff to burn and melt water with.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:08:43 pm »

Hi! I'm currently working on a similar project... It actually worked and now I have aworld of massive cold and some small freezing regions...

How'd you manage that?

Nichtschwert

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 04:15:38 pm »

As suggested above. I set the temperature to all zero and reduced all the regions to zeroes except for glaciers, tundras, mountains and oceans. I also increased the variables for glaciers and tundras. Oh and I use a map of medium size. Maybe that's an important point, too.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 07:16:56 pm »

For a cold world set temp from like -15 to 25 and set the X&Y temp variance to 1600.  Try it w/o the mesh at first.