Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Army Arc suggestions  (Read 853 times)

Conservative Swine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Army Arc suggestions
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:14:25 am »

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Require that patrols or bigger expeditions have wagons/work animals and provisions constructed and loaded.

2) Those dwarves used to go off and fight should be gone for a long time, depending on where and what kind of stuff they are supposed to do.
For example, an army that is sent out to raid or attack another village or two should be gone for months. If dwarves from the fortress can do that, they shouldn't be able to come back and contribute to fortress defense or economy until the time is up or they run out of provisions (with some negative consequences).

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Army Arc suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 11:21:57 am »

I disagree with you on one count.

1) Wagons are not necessarily required although Dwarves that march out without a reliable food source beyond what they can carry in their backpacks for the short term will begin experiencing combat penalties. Military forces should be capable of appropriating (i.e. outright seizing) supplies from unarmed villages, or foraging or even hunting. I suggested the idea of customizable vehicles numerous times and if you want to do a wagon, that's cool. If you want to transport your Dwarves by canoe, that's also cool. Chariots? Go wild. The idea with custom vehicles is you can adapt due to what you're looking for in an army, and wagons would definitely be a viable option (building a kitchen on top of a wagon for example).
2) This is implied anyway. However, the time should be dependent on their strategic speed (determined by how many mounts/etc. they have). Distance would be an issue. Bring back the world map, so we can use the Fortress screen to customize our fortress and deal with maddwarves, and the map screen to speed up time.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Army Arc suggestions
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:25:52 am »

I have only one [It's about to make the equipping system better for the military dwarves], but IIRC Toady will update this part of the game:
I've created a topic for it a while ago:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23784.0