Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lower traffic area to increase speed  (Read 1015 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
lower traffic area to increase speed
« on: October 15, 2008, 04:14:33 am »

currently the normal traffic area is 2 per tile. if you make everything high traffic area which is only 1 per tile, will this speed up the game?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: lower traffic area to increase speed
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 04:51:44 am »

Some say tagging dead ends and workshops as low traffic increases FPS

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:14:26 am »

currently the normal traffic area is 2 per tile. if you make everything high traffic area which is only 1 per tile, will this speed up the game?

If you make *everything* high traffic, then no, it won't have any effect on the game.

Marking your main travel paths as high traffic doesn't speed up the game noticeably for me.  Mostly I just use that to mark poor paths as restricted so dwarves don't wander into deadly areas.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:43:03 am »

The'll still go restricted paths when it's the only one.  I block the overland passage between my towers so my dwarves use the underground ones, and put low trafic zones over all saplings and shrubs so that they don't get trampled too much.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:57:38 pm »

The way pathfinding works is dwarfs explore tiles from their current position until they find their goal. Lower traffic costs make some tiles more favorable than others, and high traffic costs make dwarfs avoid exploring those tiles.

In other words, you want to designate traffic areas such that:
  • Tiles dwarfs should explore are low-cost, i.e. your most frequently traversed routes
  • Tiles that are dead-ends that nobody is likely to go to are high-cost

This has the effect that dwarfs who want to go to where your low-cost areas go path faster, but dwarfs who want to go to your high-cost areas actually path slower. The catch here is to determine where your dwarfs want to go the most to minimize their pathing time.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:46:34 pm »

i know, but will the comupter run faster because it is calculating numbers by 1 insted of 2

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 11:04:42 pm »

I already explained how it works. Besides that, there is no difference in speed.

A 32-bit computer which you are most likely running has the capacity of processing integers up to 4,294,967,295. It makes no difference if it adds 1's or 2's, even with 25's you can still add the cost of 171,798,691 tiles together.

And the time of adding two numbers together is constant, no matter what numbers they are. (uh, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here. ultimately it of course depends on the processor architecture)
Reality is for people who lack imagination