Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The dwarven afterlife  (Read 1350 times)

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The dwarven afterlife
« on: June 01, 2006, 01:10:00 pm »

Based upon what Toady has revealed to us. When a dwarf dies, all(most?) of their possessions are entombed with them.

What is there to stop players from dragging the dead off into some alcove and leaving them to rot?

Here's an idea...

If dwarves are onrey and single minded in life, they are more so when they are dead!

When a dwarf dies their soul hangs around the place of death. As time passes on the soul starts to go bad. Then things start to happen: blood splatters appearing, moans and screams, objects being moved/levitated, etc.

If a group of dwarves dies in the same area things can become much worse.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: The dwarven afterlife
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »

A dwarf's possessions revert to the community unless you specifically give them a tomb.  Otherwise they are buried with nothing in a coffin -- so what usually ends up happening is the construction of some kind of catacombs, with caskets all around, for general burial, and larger tombs for the nobles that are given room designations.

There is actually a hidden bloat (Bloat21) about hauntings (I'll reveal the details on release), although it was formulated in a somewhat different manner.  One idea was to detect when a flow created by a lever-pull caused the death of the puller (and perhaps others).  Then a ghost of the puller might appear, and just sit at the lever, pulling it repeatedly...  If that doesn't drain the area, your dwarves might stop the haunting by draining it themselves...  not that you can drain areas except with the original underwater lever.  The inside river is slated to dry up in winter to let you perform such repairs, although I might not get to that.  Damming it is another option I think we've mentioned before, although I dunno how that would work.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Harlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:58:00 pm »

Pardon me if you've gone over this before, but - can a non-noble dwarf distinguish itself by great deeds and earn a stately tomb?

Like, a spirited, down-to-the-bone defence of the fortress, keeping the foes at bay for just long enough but dying in the attempt, sort of thing? And they get a huge-style tomb and legends and stuff?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »

So this is part of the kind of thing that's in progress.  The answer is no, they can't currently -- although highly skilled dwarves become nobles in the sense that they earn a privileged status -- but it's one of the things I'd ultimately like to have happen.  Part of what I'm working on now is recognizing when such events have occurred and doing some of the corresponding legend prose.  Once that works, the various commemorations can begin, slowly and in many forms.  While this is going on, Harlander will work on his game.  The game he is releasing in two weeks.

46 days left until Zonk celebrates his passage into the adult population (kind of like catching the ride up to San Quentin from juvey, I guess), at which point Dwarves will be released.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »

Only 45 days?! This can't be true... I've grown used to the idea of waiting for Dwarves. Waiting and waiting.. and waiting.

I only now realized that it really is coming out soon. Not that it took too long in the first place, I've just never really thought of getting to actually play it myself. Dwarf Fortress is just something you read and fantasize about, and wait for. Not something you are going to PLAY in 45 days!

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 03:11:00 pm »

You could always be like Gezol and wait another week after the release.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 04:06:00 pm »

I'll probably do that unintentionally, being just too used to waiting for it.

Even though I check these forums every day (I really do) it'll probably take a week or two before I realize I really could play the game.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

TTHSK

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurked for a very long time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 08:13:00 am »

I check the progress every day, and the forums most days... I lurk. And, wait. Wait for the insanely good and detailed game to be completed.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 07:22:00 pm »

Hehehe...we'll have haunted caves and mead halls, then? Not bad for a weird idea, though I guess there are even funnier ones at work...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 07:37:00 pm »

It's important for the dwarves to drink.  Most living things need to drink to survive.

I like how people are setting their expectations at a healthy, middle level.  Don't damage your ears!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 01:39:00 pm »

You mean this version isn't going to have the 3D DwarfView mode, where you see your fortress in ASCII-drawn 3D from the eyes of one of your dwarves?  Bah!
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 04:16:00 pm »

Maybe we can get him to code some dungeon master 2 graphics for it?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »

Wow.  It DOES have 3D DwarfView mode, in the intro movie at least.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One