Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encrustation upon encrustation  (Read 1465 times)

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Encrustation upon encrustation
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:05:01 pm »

Does anybody have any tips on how to manage gem-encrusted furniture?  My current fortress has a wealth of gems and I'm engaged on the path of excessive bling.  My only trouble is that although my furniture stockpile has a wealth of unadorned objects, the jewellers keep getting the same few coffins and tables and encrusting them over and over again.  So I have several alunite weapon stands with no decoration, and right next to them in the stockpile (but not closer to the jeweller's workshop, weirdly) I have coffins that menace with spikes of pink tourmaline and have endless images of socks, hammers and fire snakes in other gems.

Should I just forbid things once they're sufficiently blinged up, or is there a clever way of managing this?

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
Re: Encrustation upon encrustation
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 02:13:17 pm »

Personally I just forbid the items I don't want encrusted or have them installed in their rooms

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 02:14:28 pm »

Only decorate with one type of gem at a time. A given item can only use a given material as decoration once, so if you do all your decorations with pink tourmalines, then take the decorated items and build/use/trade them (rendering them ineligible to be decorated), then you can prevent redecorations.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 02:46:40 pm »

Only decorate with one type of gem at a time.

Aha!  Thank you.  That's a much better idea.  Forbidding items was a pain, because I always forgot something and ended up with beds like this

This is a superior quality Pine bed.
On the item is a image of a cat in green glass by Thikut Okirmorul.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a Chestnut in Pink tourmaline by Mistem Datanbesmar.
On the item is a masterfully designed image of Sensedroughts the giant leopard and Ongi Rakedfought the human in Indigo tourmaline by Mistem Datanbesmar.  Ongi Rakedfought is striking down Sensedroughts.  The artwork relates to the killing of the giant leopard Sensedroughts by the human Ongi Rakedfought in the Desert of Cats in 198.
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of Scaldbeards the Indigo tourmaline armor stand in Red tourmaline by Mistem Datanbesmar.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 04:20:11 pm »

Seems like the kind of bed that would make dwarven kids wake up in a cold sweat, after having nightmares of gem-encrusted leopards.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:42:26 pm »

Wait how many times can you encrust something?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 06:54:34 pm »

Seems like the kind of bed that would make dwarven kids wake up in a cold sweat, after having nightmares fantastic dreams of gem-encrusted leopards.

There, patched that up for you.

But yes, furniture just should not be able to have that much stuff on it. Then again, Dwarves can have layers upon layers of blood, dirt, grime and vomit. Perhaps they adapted the technology of their skin to encrust furniture with layers upon layers of gems?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:14:34 pm »

8)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 07:51:49 pm »

the max is
1 decoration for every stone(including ores)
1 for every gem
1 for every wood
1 for every metal, excluding bismuth
it would also be insanely valueble, depending on how skilled your craftsmen are

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 08:37:57 pm »

[IMG]*snip*

Robots? What have you done?