Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another look at garbage disposal (featuring The Atom Smasher)  (Read 1156 times)

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another look at garbage disposal (featuring The Atom Smasher)
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:07:42 pm »

In a recent fortress, I mass designated 1,300 Gabbro stones for dumping into the magma pits in the hope that they would be gone forever. Only that I noticed them showing up in the liquids section as molten gabbro. Even some obsidian that got melted when I first dug the magma channels are listed there. So long story short, for the next fortress I decided to go with the atom smasher again.

The problem with my previous atom smasher setups, however, was that I linked a lever which I had the dwarves pull ever so often. This is tedious and it produces lag to have huge piles of forbidden stuff lying around. So I want to try to use the repeater design from SL's wiki page to have the atom smasher smash the garbage constantly. First attempts seem to suggest that it is still too fast for bridges. Although the bridge gets triggered, I think it is only with every other iteration of the repeater, and I also think that the game lags slightly more by that (Can't check really as I'm on Mac). Any ideas how to slow down the repeater enough to deal with the bridge lag, or how to generally add spikes of awesome?

Nilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another look at garbage disposal (featuring The Atom Smasher)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:34:51 pm »

I find Chasms work quite beautifully at garbage disposal.
That kind of deductive reasoning is undorfy!
You know what you have to do.
RELEASE THE CATS!

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:36:49 pm »

The advantage of the atom smasher is that you can build many of them in various places, thus minimizing walking distance between the garbage and the dump. My chasm is too far away to do this sensibly.

Nilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:50:13 pm »

Then maybe an oscillator using pressure pads and water? Once the water reaches 7 it will trigger it, smashing the trash and opening a floodgate, draining the pressure pad. You'd need some way to make water run really slowly though.
That kind of deductive reasoning is undorfy!
You know what you have to do.
RELEASE THE CATS!

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:52:47 pm »

the molten rocks will disappear after a while if you leave them, I've found.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:07:25 pm »

I'm not really sure all rocks do. The ~1,000 molten gabbros are mostly gone, but as I said, I have molten obsidian that's been sitting in the magma channel for about seven to eight game years by now. It's invisible if you inspect the map but it shows up in the stocks list, and I can then zoom to it. Maybe that's specific for obsidian, similar to the problem when you dump ice rocks into water.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 05:23:12 pm »

build some construct above the pipe and make the dump hole above a tile thats going through to the magma flow
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:57:22 pm »

I think it will still work fine even if the oscillator is faster than the bridge. I haven't actually tested this, though.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:25:27 am »

I don't see why you couldn't check on a Mac, show FPS is an init option

Can't you just build it in a confined 1x1 room? Garbage getting flung shouldn't matter anymore

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 04:36:51 pm »

Yeah, I decided to go with the fast repeater also, it is beyond my invention skill to make a slower one. I think a 2 tile long bridge that raises against a wall in confined space will wall smash the items when it is raised.

As for the FPS on Mac, you can activate the counter but it just shows zero all the time, so any lag issues have to be determined by intuition.