Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS 3.12.0 Release  (Read 1189 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
LCS 3.12.0 Release
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:00:00 am »

I'm tired of calling everything an alpha of 3.12, so this one is the actual 3.12. It's got a black market, recruitment caps, a fightable and beatable Conservative Crime Squad... so seems a good time for a new version anyway.

I'm winning in my test game, thanks in large part to an early influx of money from running a Denial of Service racket, and the ability to visit the black market and load up on SMGs and ammo early on. Here's my founder:

The Heavy Body Armor is the most powerful armor in the game, but it doesn't get you in as a disguise anywhere, and can cause alarm almost as fast as lugging an AK-47 around. I picked it off the body of a dead CCS Ringleader when I attacked one of their safehouses. Note that this guy is a hippie, not a transient -- my original founder died.

Public opinion:

Liberal Agenda:

Promotion Screen:

The promotion screen went through a lot of ugly revisions before I settled on how it looks now. Implementing recruit caps per person, and making brainwashed and seduced characters behave distinctly from others meant there was a lot of information I had to communicate on this screen.

You can download the new version here:

LCS For Windows 3.12.0

The source code is on SVN for Linux or OS X compilation.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 3.12.0 Release
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:45:00 am »

Pure awesomesauce.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

Very cool.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

I'm not sure if it actually influences the cap, but sleepers are still displyed as subordiantes. as are suductees (I understand they aren't supposed to? because it's otherwise logical that they are...)

also, who can guess what is wrong with this picture?

edit: yes, both of those influence the caps.

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: a1s ]

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

I'm guessing that's the free judge you got from being "fast friends" with a judge in character creation, which would explain why he's able to lead people without leadership or juice (he's getting the +6 followers bonus that is normally reserved for the founder).

As for seduced and sleepers affecting the recruit cap, I was able to find that bug. Instead of checking if the subordinate is seduced or brainwashed when determining if it should count, it checks if the boss is. Which means this is doubly buggy, as when the boss is seduced or a sleeper, nobody will count.    :roll: I thought I'd fixed this, but apparently I just caught an instance of this when determining how many love slaves people can have, not how many recruits. Easy fix though.

Edit: Seductees will get their own category. People without seduction skill can only have one lover (which is their boss if they themselves were seduced), while people who have seduction skill can pull off having more than one.

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

I've played a few games, and disguise never seems to get any better while stealth goes through the roof. Is this intended?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

hm... are your guys
a) in costume?
b) ever getting caught? (there was some talk about giving out experience based on the probability of failing. no risk, no xp)

I would also like to make a few feature requests:
the rhetorically gifted should only try to raise heart if they don't have any weapons.
once CSS activates there should be a small chance that one of your activists engaged in regular activities (causing of trouble, selling of brownies, etc...) will disappear for a few days (without a message), and then reappear back, but is now a spy for the CSS.
also, maybe after they reappear you should get a small period (like a week) when you can interrogate them, and make them a double agent (you get the benefits of a sleeper in CSS and you get to have the activist). If you miss the window it is assumed that the insertion is unnoticed and now you can only send the operative to his or her death to get rid of them. (you could also do this for CSS, i.e. the player thinks she has a sleeper, but really he doesn't do anything)

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: a1s ]

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »

I think BishopX is right about stealth replacing disguise as always being used. We had some weirdness with both myself and another person doing some work on stealth/disguise at the same time, and there may have been some side effects of that.

I like your ideas a1s. I've actually been planning to make rhetorical Liberals fire guns if they're armed for awhile -- the reason they don't now is that many of them come with weapons (gavel...), and making them ignore their weapons was a quick and dirty way to ensure that they always attack with speech with their default weapons. This should nonetheless be changed for a more graceful solution.

The CCS sleepers would support having the CCS mount raids on your safehouses -- they don't do this now. I'd also like to make it so when you kidnap CCS members, the media doesn't respond to it, and you get an option at the end of whether to make them a sleeper or not (this should probably be extended to all sleepers) -- if they're known to have gone missing by the CCS, they'll be executed or quietly deprogrammed and work as a double agent.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

How will sleepers in the CCS function? I don't think they can really sway them all that much.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 10:54:00 pm »

You're right, they'll probably just spy on them and notify you of any juicy information.