Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Doors to the Red Mansion (Story fort)  (Read 2789 times)

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
Re: The Doors to the Red Mansion (Story fort)
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 12:01:26 pm »

((I've been looking at Migrursut recently to see how the big boys make their story forts. Think I'm gonna take a page from that one and ditch the journal format I've been using. It's a bit cliche and really narrows perspective more than I like.

Ready to start year 2. Summer gets interesting. I've added another minor restriction (in the first post) that may or may not cause havoc.))

Excerpt from Yon Historyes of Dworfen Societyes: Ayn Intereysting Looke Into Ye Lives of AforeSaid Smalle and Beearded Menn: Bye Ted Playfrill, Poeate Laureatte of Thee Tenaciouse Empire and Offishial Hystoryian of Same

…of course, when we speak of dwarves we must understand that they are quite as various as humankind. There are four major dwarven civilizations in our world: Powerful Amemolon, which claims the entirety of the northern Warm Spikes; the small and mysterious Nethzaneg, situated in an equally small mountain range, isolated in the northeastern corner of the world; and then Abanshorast in the southern Warm Spikes, and their rivals, Angmuthkat.
   Amemolon’s great strength and quick expansion makes them a worthy topic of discussion. Nethzaneg, given their curious name (which translates roughly to “The Balanced Relic”) and equally odd settlements: a dwarven hall and a goblin fortress, one on each end of their small range. I will focus firstly upon Abanshorast and Angmuthkat, however, due to their proximity to our great empire.
   It appears that these two civilizations have been rivals since the world’s creation, apparently following a very early schism in religious belief. Abanshorast (The “Constructive Wire” in their own tongue.) Has been the more forthcoming and equitable trading partner for us, and most of what we know of dwarvenkind comes from these esteemed dwarves.
   Angmuthkat, however, remains shrouded in mystery. Our traders are not allowed within the walls of the capital and of what goes on inside we have little experience. The dwarves in that place trade with us, but shrewdly and only grudgingly. They are not interested in cultural exchange and xenophobia is very nearly an art form among them.
   What little we do know comes mostly from the neighboring dwarven country of Abanshorast. Apparently the civilization of Angmuthkat derives its name from a peculiar myth surrounding their god. The nameless diety (none of those whom I’ve spoken with would dare utter its name) is believed to dwell in another world: its home a place called The Red Mansion. The Angmuthkat dwarves have modeled their society upon it. Their nation’s flag is the image of a six pointed star in bones upon a red field. Such violent imagery as a national standard bears consideration when one examines the more unseemly myths surrounding these people and their dark god.
   From here I will simply list what I know (which is scanty indeed) and move on to other groups of which I have more knowledge. We have come to learn several of their myths and superstitions through second and third-hand sources: a few dwarven historians of Abanshorast and the occasional bribed (and exceptionally stealthy) Kobold.

1: A dwarf of Angmuthkat will place their bed as far away from the door of their bedroom as possible. It must never be directly opposite the door. Purportedly due to a sense of propriety (it’s obscene to stand in a doorway and view another dwarf in bed)
2: It is good for the soul to have a tomb caved out alongside a vein of ore. Generally the richer the metal the better, but hematite is preferred over even gold.
3: It is bad luck to strike saltpeter and not mine it out completely. No excuse as to why this is has been offered.
4: Alcohol is for strong, healthy dwarves. A dwarf that cannot fetch drink for themselves will not be given any.
5: When a cluster of gems is mined out, an image must be engraved upon the area to ward away evil and greedy spirits.
6: Live vermin are occasionally eaten as a token sacrifice to their god. (Egads! The very thought of it!) Certain kinds (rats, snakes, etc) go in and out of vogue every few years.
7: A dwarf who dies violently is said to have “Entered the Red Mansion”. The bloodier the death the greater the dwarf’s reward will be in the next world.

It would be wonderful to learn more, particularly as it is rumored that the Angmuthkat dwarves’ numbers are dwindling. Now on to…

--The Capital of the Red Mansion, Boardwoman: 1st Granite, 204--

A greasy hand grasped the fine brass doorknob of the portal to the queen’s chamber. The door swung open. Inside all was dark. The hand slipped on the knob and eventually managed to close it with a faint Click from the latch.

There was another click from somewhere in the dark room. A bolt whistled past the fat figure's ear and clacked against the stone door.

“It’sh jusht me shire!” squealed Fatshadow.

A sigh came from the gloom. Thinshadow gently put the crossbow down on the ornate obsidian desk. “There have been several worrying attacks lately. Dissident spies may be afoot.” There was the sound of a bolt being slotted into place, and another click as Thinshadow finished reloading. “Come in then. Is this about the…?”

“Project? Yesh shire.” Fatshadow lit a candle and waddled over to Thinshadow’s desk. “I’ve made shertain that there will be plenty of labor available for The Red Tower. Many hands for the military ash well.”

“Hmmm? And where did you find all of these willing dwarves?” queried Thinshadow.

Fatshadow gave a wet cough. Something wet landed upon the desk with a sickening splat. “Shorry. Shomething I ate dishagreed with me.” The hunk gave a twitch, writhed in the little pool of phlegm, and was still. “I’ve solved two crishishesh at onshe, shire.” Giggled Fatshadow. “The prishonsh of Inkpillar are now empty, and we have many shettlersh for the new shettlement.”

“Yes, the prison population of Inkpillar was getting fairly high, was it not?” there was a note of accusation in Thinshadow’s voice.

“Quite sho, shire, quite sho. It sheems there were many dishidantsh in Inkpillar. What better way to be rid of them? They wished to live elshewhere, and now they do.” Fatshadow chuckled again, and coughed.

“Very well, is there any other news?”

“A little more, shire, regarding the fortress of the Conshtructive Wire on the other shide of thish range. We’ve jusht dishcovered that it’sh apparently no shettlement at all, but a penal colony. Shupposhedely they deemed the entire New Land unfit for healthy habitashion.”

“Do we know why?” Asked Thinshadow.

“We’re shtill inveshtigating, shire. I can’t shay with shertainty.”

“Very well, you may go.” Stated Thinshadow in a tone that meant, “Quit being a nuisance.” Fatshadow stumbled towards the chamber door.

“Oh, one final thing” came the reedy voice of Thinshadow. “If the prisons of Inkpillar are empty, where do you intend to find more immigrants?”

“I'm sure I’ll think of shomething, shire.” Chuckled Fatshadow. “You can bet your crown on it.” His slick hand slipped on the door once more and only opened it with after a few moments of careful effort.

Minutes later, Thinshadow called for several servants with mops and buckets.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 12:22:13 pm »

A few pictures of the site. It was mid-summer of 204 before it struck me that I should have done this from the start.  ::)

Topside
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The workshops: 1 level down from the top.

Farmind/dining/brewing/cooking area 2 levels down from the top.

Living Quarters: 3 levels down from the top.

Burial area: Bottom level of the map. (barely started)

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 04:03:02 pm »

((I feel like I'm spamming, but here's an update. Journal entries seem useful for infodumping, and I think I'll continue to use them for that.))

-The events of the morning of 15th Granite, 204-

The mountain was dressed in a thick fog as the miners exited the front doors, hauling heavy boulders of diorite in front of them. The stone pile was mercifully close though the mist in the air made the distance feel greater. Zefon and Stukos, the Red Tower’s senior miners, left a trail of rock to find their way back. Other dwarves struggled past with their own stone burdens. A dwarf tripped and struck a piece of abandoned microcline face first. He left a trail of blood all the way back to the fortress doors, and a string of curses that receded faintly as he moved inside.

“Hey Stukos, you hear something?” Zefon’s question came from somewhere in the fog. There was a thud as she dropped the rock she’d been carrying onto the stone pile.

“Sure as bloody hell can’t see anything. What is it?”

“Quiet a second Blood! Everybody STOP!”

They went silent. The line of stone-haulers collapsed into one another like dominos. A steady regular thumping noise could be heard, approaching the area very, very slowly.

“Zef? What is that?” Stukos whispered.

“Dunno.” The dwarf raised her pick.
“Everybody get inside. Get yer pick out, Stukky. I think there’s some bad mojo coming this way.”

Stukos drew the pick from the sling on her back. The noise halted, replaced by the sound of something large skidding on the rocks. There was an animal grunt and…

“Hoof beats!” hissed Zefon. “Stukos, where are you?”

“I’m right here!” was Stukos sharp reply. But look as she might, Zefon could not make out from which direction the voice came from.

“Look, wherever you are, lets back up, nice and slow and get indoors. We can decide what to do from…”

She never finished the sentence. The tall, almost skeletally thing shadow loomed over Zefon, its complete form concealed in the mist. The miner took a step backward and tripped on a hunk of blue rock. She fell, very nearly landing on her own pick.

A wiry hand reached out of the fog and grabbed Zefon by the arm. “Stukos!” She yelled. “Stukos, help! It’s got me!” The emerging creature grasped Zefon with its very soft palm and brought her upright. A bizarre face suddenly appeared in the gloom. A long face with thin, pointy ears.

“We are having trades, yes? Trade for…what is word? Earth-bone things? Have clothings.” Its grasp of the dwarven language was so poor it was comical. A mule poked its nose through the gloom and licked the tall creature’s face

“Uh, false alarm…I think.” Zefon yelled back to Stukos.

-The events of the afternoon of 15th Granite, 204-

“Let me see if I have this correctly; they’re elves.” The voice was Kel’s.
“Seems that way.” Replied Rovod.
“And they want to trade.” Said Kel.
“Seems that way.” Replied Rovod.
Kel drummed her fingers on the stone desk.
“Do you know where the closest elven civilization is, Rovod?”
“North of the Tenacious Empire…so, northeast of us. That is, northeast of the capital and waaaaaaaay northeast of here.”
“Right. And they came all the way out here just to trade a few knick-knacks?” asked Kel.
“Seems that way.” Replied Rovod
“Rovod, if you say that one more time I’m going to have your beard shaved.”
“Seems that…oops. Sorry ma’am.”
“Bring whatever we were saving for the autumn caravan. We can always make more.”

Outside, the many dwarves stood around the trade depot in awe at the newcomers.

-Journal of Kel Razorblown 16th Granite, 204-

We’ve encountered elves. It appears that they’ve come all the way from a civilization called (the translation must be terrible) the “Hairy Island”. Their ability to speak dwarven is awful, but I speak no elven. Most of us have never even seen an elf, let alone conversed with one. The complex foreign policies of the mountain homes have essentially barred them as trading partners.

Trade was complicated but I think we came out all the better for it. We’ve received
1 Black bear
2 wooden swords
1 bag of whip vine seeds
1 large helm
1 buckler
1 empty barrel
25 pine arrows
4 bolts of cloth

All this in exchange for some mere stone trinkets. I am grateful to have a sword now, even if it is made of wood.

Rovod is smarter and significantly more knowledgable than I'd expected. If only his work ethic matched his mind.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 09:40:33 am »

((Updating despite popular demand))

-The events of the morning of 22nd Slate, 204-

The line of dwarves stretched well outside of Kel’s office, all the way to the grumpy black bear chained in the entry hall. The last dwarf in line eyed the beast nervously. From behind the closed office door there was a murmur of speech, followed by a loud “You WHAT!”, which itself was followed by longer, more rapid murmuring.

Inside the office Rovod shifted nervously from foot to foot. He scratched the back of his head. “Er, I sort of forgot to start planting the crops this season.”

“You forgot! You forgot for two MONTHS! How in earth does anyone forget to do their job for fifty days!?”

Rovod shrugged. “Well, we still have a decent supply of plump helmets. This is nothing we can’t pull through.”

The argument went on for a few minutes more, the rock door rattling at Kel’s voice. Rovod shuffled out of the office, staring at the floor, his hands in his pockets. The line moved. Zefon entered.

“How much of the raw gemstone did we lose?” Kel asked.
   “Little over half. Look I’m sorry. Anyway it’s only amethyst.” Stated the miner.

Kel toyed with the wooden sword laid out on her desk. A wooden weapon would be a joke to most dwarves. Kel somehow managed to make it look threatening. The expedition leader was a master at the art of menacing. She knew how to get under the skin of each individual dwarf. Rovod had to be yelled at, for a very long time, for instance. Olon and Datan were best dealt with by letting them shout their complaints until they were tired, and then dismissing them. Most dwarves, however, responded to the silent treatment. Kel would remain quiet and detached while the dwarf across the desk dug themselves into a deeper hole.

She put down the sword. “Did you at least carve a sigil into the floor to…”

“Blood, yes! Think I’d forget in a place like this?” Zefon interrupted.
The meeting went on for a few minutes more, Kel’s voice was much quieter and much colder than the last meeting. Zefon left. The line moved. Stukos entered.

“Kel, about those kennels you wanted me to build: we’ve hit a snag.”

Kel rubbed her temples. This had not been a good week. “What is it Stukos? If you tell me we can’t build there I’m going to have you thrown into the chasm.”

The miner’s face lit up. “Ah, well, do it if you must. Only if we don’t change our plans the kennels are gonna be all cluttered up with gold.

The week got better.

-The events of the evening of 27th Slate, 204-

This time the line of dwarves stretched well outside of Kel’s office, past the perturbed bear chained in the entryway, and out into the courtyard. The bear did not consider these newcomers very interesting. It stretched itself out and went to sleep. Bears are not generally interested in anything that doesn’t resemble a salmon, or perhaps honey.

These dwarves did not smell of honey. They reeked of stale sweat and waste and a hard journey. Their clothes were frayed, as were their nerves. There seemed only mildly relieved to be at their destination. The blue-clad dwarf in Kel’s office took in the rough stone walls and crude furniture. He seemed puzzled. Papers were shifted around.

“This isn’t quite like what we were told to expect.” The dwarf commented.
“Name?”
“Thikut Sastresfath.”
“Occupation?”
“er, craftsdwarf. I do a little of this, little of that. Wood and leather mostly, although I do know a bit about bones.”

Kel nodded.

“I was told to expect everything in readiness for our arrival.” Stated the dwarf. He adjusted his soiled shirt.

Kel dipped a frayed black quill in an inkpot, shook off the excess and continued writing.

“I mean Stukos’s poor kitten is half-starved. And Solon and his wife both had a nasty trip on the slopes and…”

The door slammed against the wall. The open frame could barely contain the dwarven woman standing outside. She looked as if she’d been carved from a cliff face. The dirty green patch on her clothing revealed her to be a jeweler.

“What in the $%*& is the %&*-ing holdup in here?” the newcomer bellowed.

With deliberate slowness Kel gently blew upon the wet ink of the forms. She set the sheets aside, put down the quill, leaned on the desk and clasped her hands together.

“Yes? What is it, Ms?”

“Don’t try that calm, superior bullshit on me. We’ve been waiting out here for hours.” Snarled the woman. She knocked her shoulder against the doorframe on the way in. It did nothing to slow her down.

“If the liaison at Boardwoman had sent the lot of you with proper paperwork this would significantly reduce the time it takes to get you settled in. If you would like to make a formal complaint I can include it with mine when we see him this autumn.”

“Um, I’ll just be going, shall I?” muttered Thikut the craftsdwarf. Kel nodded and waves him away. He tripped over the stone bench upon which he’d been sitting. He righted the bench, muttered, “Sorry Reg.” and scurried out of the office.

“I asked you your name. Is it, Reg?” queried Kel.

The woman bit her lip. “We were told you’d have everything ready for us. Hot meals, beds, a bit of rum. The basic stuff a dwarf actually needs to get through the day? You stupid shits have nothing here. I am not sleeping in the barracks like some poor piss-ant lye maker.”

“Hey!” protested a voice from the hall.

“Shut the hell up, Ushat!” screamed the woman. A bit of mumbling followed from outside the office.

“Your name.” Stated Kel.
   T
he giant dwarf leaned on the desk, supporting herself on her knuckles. “Reg Lenshamlorbam.” She breathed each syllable, slow, as if every one were a curse on the bitch across from her. She was inches from the Kel’s face now. Her breath was warm as an oven, her teeth chipped and yellow.

The quill was picked up and in long, looping letters Kel wrote down the newcomer’s name.

“Well, Ms. Lenshamlorbam. You’re right that you won’t be sleeping in the barracks.” Reg gave a nasty grin in reply. You just had to know hwo to deal with stuck-ups, she thought. “You see we don’t have a barracks. This is a pity since you’ll be on militia duty.”

A harsh rattle emerged from deep in her throat. Reg Lenshamlorbam spat upon the desk. “Blood god take you then.”

The chatter from outside of the office stopped as dwarves gasped to hear the god spoken of aloud. It was a terrible curse on oneself to invoke the name without an offering. Only a lunatic would dare, just in case the blood god deigned to manifest and tear the offender to shreds. The remaining immigrants made signs in the air invoking other gods. They whispered small prayers.

As the gargantuan dwarf left Kel’s office, the expedition leader believed that if Armok did arrive, Reg Lenshamlorbam would make it a hell of a fight.

-Journal of Stukos Mafollelum 11th Felsite, 204-

We’re concentrating on mining out more living space for the newcomers. Gotta say that we’ve expanded much more rapidly than I would have wanted. Our population has more than doubled over the past year with the arrival of these nineteen worthless immigrants. You can bet we’ll have a sacrifice this autumn. No reason not to go ahead with it given the sheer number of useless dwarves we got.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:57:54 am by Awayfarer »
Pages: 1 [2]