Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Cave spider silk control.  (Read 1789 times)

MorganLoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Cave spider silk control.
« on: October 08, 2008, 01:02:35 am »

I have noticed that giant cave spider silk items can go for > $700 with the traders. Cave spiders are so nasty this price sounds about right, but why do all my immigrants and invaders come decked out in it?

I can feed my entire fortress for a year by selling the gear of one unfortunate peasant. This has always seemed really out of whack for me. How can I change the raws to forbid Giant Spider Silk from showing up on migrants and invaders? 

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Cave spider silk control.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 04:27:37 pm »

Unfortunately silk availability isn't available for modification as it is with metal (where you can add [DEEP] and poof nobody can use it)
You *can* decrease the price IIRC through the GCS entry...  That's about it AFAIK
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:39:15 am »

In the raws you could make the silk less valuable by changing the modvalue.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:20:55 am »

You can also give dwarven civilizations surface farming. That will make it so that many of your dwarves will be wearing rope reed ect. and GCSS stuff will be much rarer. It will also allow you to embark with surface crops and wood types, and allow you to order surface crops and wood from the traders.

Give both types of farming to goblins to have less GCSS on them as well, since they will sometimes be wearing rope reed and pig tail clothing.

Other than the changes to what you can embark/trade with the caravans for, this doesn't affect the game any since currently the town generator doesn't look at the farming tags.

Doesn't really solve your problem (occasional ridiculously valued GCSS stuff will still appear) but it'll cut down on the frequency of it happening at least.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:13:31 am »

Remove the [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING] tag from the dwarf entity and they should stop showing up with silk items. You can also do this to goblins and kobolds. You will probably have to generate a new world before the clothing is updated though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MorganLoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 01:01:39 am »

Thank you everyone, GCSS sould be a really rare item given how hard it is to harvest; and this also opens the challenge of surface farming!  It would be interesting to see if the Dwarfs could be given unhappy thoughts when they are underground too long.