Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More bulk designations  (Read 924 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
More bulk designations
« on: October 29, 2008, 02:29:22 pm »

Well, right now we have dump, melt, hide and forbid, which is a very good start, but there are other ideas:

-trade (marks the item to be brought to the depot when merchants arrive)

-decorate (marks the item to be decorated when a 'decorate' or 'encrust' job is issued at a shop)

-scrap (not in the game- possibility to burn barrels for charcoal and some such?)

Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:37:31 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More bulk designations
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:59:23 pm »

I think melt should be expanded to a more general recycle. Wooden items would be burned to an amount of ash that depends on the item size. Cloth items could be turned back into a small amount of thread or cloth, or potentially burned into ash as well.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:08:41 pm »

Trash designation: Items would be tagged as refuse and taken to the associated refuse pile.

Wait, do we have that already? All I can think of is dump, which only takes items to a garbage dump...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:19:54 pm »

Burn and recycle need to be two different ones. Anything designated as fuel will be burned as fuel in the requisite workshop or turned into charcoal, as is appropriate at that moment. Recycle would turn it into its component parts, if possible, or otherwise a degraded general category: decorations are stripped, cloth gives some thread and rags, food is turned into animal fodder, metal parts marked for melting, wood probably would be marked as firewood, unless there'll be smaller pieces of wood in the game. Glass would be remelted too, rags and paper made available for the paper workshop.

As an aside, it would be nice if objects made out of ore could still be smelted.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.